New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help asap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help asap!!!

hey im going to check out a 2001 z28 a guy 8 hours from my house has for sale....

heres my question:

he told me the only thing wrong was that sometimes (the odd time he said) you have to pump the clutch because theres air in the hydraulic cylinder..ok, thats fine, he said if im serious he will replace it(and has since done so)...now i cant sleep and im leaving at 5am to go check it out because im worried that its the slave cylinder and wasnt the hydraulic at all...i cant have the tranny dropped as im dumping every cent i have into this car...he says it seems to be working top notch right now but i mean how much could he possibly have driven it since saterday...so im worried and need peace of mind that it was the hydraulic cylinder...he had a guy from chevy put it in so thats a bit relieving...but im so darn worried that when i get the car 8 hours back to my house, the clutch is gonna start going to the floor and its gonna be the slave cylinder....also parinoid because he said his wife was driving it up until last summer...

Please help!

its a 01 ss, 5.7L 6 speed.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get it inspected. It will cost money but it will save you from buying a lemon...
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the money to do some minor repairs on a 10 year old car I would suggest not getting it. Master and slave cylinders do wear. Labor cost for my clutch/hydrolics install was around $200 out the door. I'd assume a slave only replacement would be less; so maybe that including the parts. All you can do is test drive the car and factor in the possible extra cost. You can try the inspection route, but it's not 100% accurate.

You need to budget say $1000 into the cost of the car for maintainence issue, atleast until you can recoup some savings. If you never have to use it, great, buy some mods with it or whatever. If you do have to fix the hydrolics, or replace a window motor (will need one eventually), etc. you're covered.

For what it's worth, that's what my clutch started doing - the peddle would have to go all the way to the floor to work it and there was hardly any peddle pressure. It would also grab right off the floor board when this happened. It WAS random at frist then started to do it all the time. My OE clutch was slipping anyway so I replaced it and all the hydrolics, an `02+ OE master and the slave came with the monster clutch. I'm almost 100% it was my slave that died but if you're doing one, might as well do bought.

Last edited by Kurt D; 07-28-2011 at 03:00 AM.