New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question with header install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question with header install.

Hello, first I want to say this sight is a wealth of information. Now to the point. I have searched the forums for weeks to try and find an answer. I just purchased a 02 B4C and put a set of BBK LT w/ ORY. I ran it back and dumped it at the axel. I through a set of plugs in on the install. Just casual driving is ok. When I put a load on it I get a rattle right between the shift on 1st and 2nd. No other gears. Ive checked the exhaust front front to back and cant find anywhere that its hitting. No other noises at idle or highway speed. Is it valve rattle when the rpm drops between shift. I dont know but could use some imput with everyones experiences.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under load your y-pipe is probably hitting the floorboard or something else. A lot of times people upgrade the motor mounts to poly with header installs as that helps the motor from flexing as much under WOT which then results in less movement in your exhaust.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the only thing that comes to mind. It's REALLY hard to diagnose rattles and squeaks ESPECIALLY over the internet. Good luck finding out the problem.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i installed mine i shoved a few 2x4 wood pieces in between the y pipe and the floorboard and tightened it down and removed them for clearancing.. i also had to remove my Heat shield and on the passenger side were the heat shield is i massaged the floorboard slightly to help clear the collector... no rattles here and i did the same kit in my driveway.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 PM

I took it for another spin this evening. When I manually shifted from first to second... no noise. When left it in drive that clicking rattle sound came back. Ill put her on the lift and check out that y pipe again. Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Still had the noise until today. I installed a Diablo tune and the noise is completely gone now. Any thoughts