Wind Noise???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 07:43 PM
myZ
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise???

"delete"

Last edited by myZ; 06-02-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my '98Z....only thing I did to try to correct it was get a new car :p

I am curious to find out what it was incase it happens to my new one. The weather stipping seemed to seal pretty well so I couldnt imagine what it could have been :dunno: Not aware of anyway to push the window out a little either
Old 04-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Default A Pillar Wind Noise

I have had the same noise on over half the GM cars on one side of the other that I have owned in the last 20 years and in fact just fixed the same noise on my 2002 Camaro last week.

It is probably an air leak around/through the side mirror and can be fixed by sealing the inside of the mirror assembly to the door. First get some plastic electrical tape and tape over the base of the side mirror and see if that stops or changes the sound. You can also temporarily tape over the window and gasket to make sure it is not the pillar seal.

If it is the side mirror, get some windshield gasket materal (you can get it from AutoZone or other stores in the sealler area and it comes in a flat box in the form of a long spiral rope of tarry rubbery material - unvulcanized rubber) and use a bit of it to seal the mirror.

If you take the small inside plastic panel off, you will see a foam seal with the wiring loom coming through. First use of the stuff to fill and completely seal the hole where the wiring comes through. Chances are this will fix it.

If it does not, then you have to take off the mirror (3 bolts) and seal the mirror completely from the inside, base, studs and wiring. That should do it if it is the side mirror.

One note of warning about this windshield gasket material - it can be very messy so be careful what you touch when it is on your fingers. If you get petroleum products, silicone products or detergents on it, it will thin out and even liquify and then you really have a mess, so don't get it where you don't want it and if you do, remove as much of it as you can by dry wiping it. If you have to use a solvent, use one of the carpet touch up spray cleaners, that seems to work the best for me. If anyone knows a better commonly available sealer let us all know!

One last note, I have had good luck using this to stop the normal plastic squeaks typical in the F-Body. But I only use it as a last resort since it can be so messy and once it is put on, some of it will always be there to track if you or anyone else has to work in that area.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:36 AM
myZ
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=jrnorman]I have had the same noise on over half the GM cars on one side of the other that I have owned in the last 20 years and in fact just fixed the same noise on my 2002 Camaro last week.

It is probably an air leak around/through the side mirror and can be fixed by sealing the inside of the mirror assembly to the door. First get some plastic electrical tape and tape over the base of the side mirror and see if that stops or changes the sound. You can also temporarily tape over the window and gasket to make sure it is not the pillar seal.QUOTE]

I put masking tape in the a-pillar area that runs from where the side mirror ends to where the t-top starts and that made the noise go away. So i think my problem is still in that a-pillar seal. I even tryed sealing the little plastic "rain channel" piece to the windshield...with no luck...i can duplicate the noise almost exactly by when driving down the road placing my finger in the window/a-pillar area to push the seal away a little bit to get that whistle. But i'll try sealing the mirror area like you described, as i just want the noise to be gone!
Thanks for the response , anyone else?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Then your problem is the A Pillar or the seal. One old trick is to use dollar bill in the seal. Open the door, place the bill between the seal and the window and close the door. Then gently tug the bill up and down and in and out (you may need a helper on the inside) and see if you can find a place where there is little or no tension or contact with the seal. That would be the place to look at really closely.

In your case since the tape elminated the noise, it is either an air leak or something causing turbulence since the tape can seal a leak and streamline the area.

If there are no obvious problems with the seal then adjusting the door or window is all that is left. There are ajustments to push the window in tighter into the seal particularly at the top but I would personally take it to an expert to get it done. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise???