New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowtech

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pacesetters are pretty good. Got a set on my car and I installed both of them from the bottom with the car on rhino ramps. The only thing I had to do was grind some of the k-member...not banging at all. They aren't as pretty as hookers or the jet hots but for the price they rock. I would recommend to everyone getting a custome y-pipe made at an exhaust shop of possible to avoid any headaches a pre-fabbed one would give you. I can supply pics if anyone would like them.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

annnybody else??
Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gomer
I've intalled about 5 or 6 sets of hookers and installed my first set of Flowtechs last night.. They are not "like" the hookers. I'm going to have to pull the driver's side off tonight and grind the Kmember on the car where it is rubbing/touching. The welding leaves alot to be desired and also, the holes for the o2 sensor bungs were too small and when I threaded the sensors in, it ate the end of the sensor up. I'll never recommend them to anyone again. I had talked the guy into buying them because I had read there were "like the hookers"... no they are not.
How eary are the Hookers to install? I was thinking maybe about going with them....also, has anyone had any problems with them rusting when coated? I live in NJ, and the winters suck. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

The install on the hookers and the flowtechs are about the same. The fit and finish is where the hookers absolutely murder the flowtechs. I've had a set on my Z28 for about 2 years now and the coating is looking pretty bad under the car.. but my set was when Jethot was buying uncoated hookers and then selling them theirselves. I'm not a big fan of the hookers slip fit collectors, but I've learned to live with it. I'll still only recommend hookers or Kooks to people I do installs for.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

What's wrong with the slip fit collectors? Do they leak?
Old 04-29-2004, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sunsetz28
What's wrong with the slip fit collectors? Do they leak?
They WILL leak if you use the clamps that hooker supplies. I buy a wide 3in clamp that Walker makes. It solves the leaky slipfit connection.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm Gomer you got a part number and a vendor for those clamps. I have ONE that is leaking on my passenger side at the y-pipe "elbow".

As for headers, installing headers can be a PITA or really easy get the Kooks if you want easy, After owning an LT1 for years I was literally SHOCKED at how easy and perfect the Kooks fit. I'm not a fan of the slip connector but really the one that is leaking is one that was scraped on a speed bump.

With the Kooks there was no grinding and no banging after the install. only thing I had to remove was the oil filter.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Rok
TECH Apprentice

I talked to the guy who welded in my SFC's today (he did an awsome job by the way D&S motorsports in Livonia,MI) about Flowtech and he doesn't like them to much. He recommended Hookers.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Hmm Gomer you got a part number and a vendor for those clamps. I have ONE that is leaking on my passenger side at the y-pipe "elbow".

As for headers, installing headers can be a PITA or really easy get the Kooks if you want easy, After owning an LT1 for years I was literally SHOCKED at how easy and perfect the Kooks fit. I'm not a fan of the slip connector but really the one that is leaking is one that was scraped on a speed bump.

With the Kooks there was no grinding and no banging after the install. only thing I had to remove was the oil filter.
Here is the clamp.. it is a Walker/Dynomax 3in. The part number is 33278, they are about $9 each.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Well I went and picked up my car tonight and first off I must say that it sounds awesome through the Borla me like very much I havent had a chance to really romp on the car because its pouring (just my luck) Now for the bad looks like I will have to do some grinding in the k-member as it is rubbing when the car is stopped in drive but when you start to accelerate it goes away.

IMO these are good headers for the price you pay Now they do need to stop making the statement that they are just like Hookers as they are not! I have seen Hookers and they will blow these Flowtech's away.But as I stated before you get what you pay for.Overall Im happy yeah there are some things that are making some noise but lets face it when you start modifing your car it will never be the same again. I would recommend these headers to someone but remember to check them out before you install them my 02 bungs had some jagged edges in them also glad I looked anyway hopes this helps you decide on what headers you want to go with
Old 04-29-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks everyone for all your imput. Im debating between flowtech and hooker now depending on funds. If i get the money im gonna go for it, if not then flowtech it is hehe
Old 04-29-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a set of the flowtech's on my car and I really like them so far. The install (as I watched) seemed to be pretty easy. The guy installing them said he didn't have a problem at all. The o2 bongs were a little tight but the big problem was the ORY which took two people to get it matched up to the headers. For the money they are nice. I was going to buy the Kooks but money said other wise. Also for the money I saved I wonder would I have seen that much of a difference in performance? I didn't think so plus the wallet won the debate. They also sound real nice JMO.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks shoulder, im seriously considering going w/ them. I mean 383 for coated headers and ORY. How can you beat that? Smack them on w/ my LM WHOOO WEE! lol

Also i have a quick ?.....
when you change to an aftermarket lid (SLP) can u use the stock paper filter from the stock air box?
Old 04-29-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

up up up!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:20 AM
Rok
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
when you change to an aftermarket lid (SLP) can u use the stock paper filter from the stock air box?
yep it uses the same filter
Old 04-30-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Alright good, i dont think investing 50 dollars in an oily shitty sealing K&N was worth so i was just going to keep the paper delco or go get a pure-0-lator lol. Thanks for all your help again guys! And if anyone else wants to chme in w/ there .02 feel free!!
Old 05-01-2004, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my Flowtech headers and ORY last night. Install was straight forward with absolutely NO problems. The driver side O2 sensor is a bit tight but no big deal. No grinding the K member or block. I am very happy with them, especially for the $$$. Now I just need to get rid of the flowmaster and get a new catback. Car runs extremely strong, no codes, good sound. I definately recommend them, hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks bro!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Default .

the million dollar question here is where did you find the coated flowtechs for that cheap???
Old 05-03-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pbjones81
the million dollar question here is where did you find the coated flowtechs for that cheap???

For the second time GP!!!!!!

lol