Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Starting Problems

hello im new to the trans am community and my 98 trans am m6 needs 1 or 2 "cranks" before actually starting the motor , what are you guys thought on what i should check out? i tried to check with a code reader but these type things don't come up
Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might try a general tuneup new spark plugs and wires some injector cleaner. you could run a higher octane gas mine seemed to run better with 91 vs 87 or 89.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Defiantly do a tune up regardless if it needs one. Don't forget the fuel filter too, people always miss that. Try turning the key to on but not start for 10 seconds 2 times before you start it next time, if it starts right away you most likely are having your fuel pressure bleed somewhat. Its a sign of a fuel pump starting to go bad, but do what I said and see if that works first. That will tell you if the pump is indeed the problem.

Originally Posted by Transam9973
you could run a higher octane gas mine seemed to run better with 91 vs 87 or 89.
These cars were designed to run on 91/93, yes you can run 87/89 in them but there will be a power loss when it goes to the low octane timing table. It can cause very very small hesitation and stumble in some rare cases but it should not keep the car from starting like the OP is explaing. I never ever run 87 in my car and I never suggest it.

Quick Reply: Car Starting Problems