Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap

I know im making a lot of threads but each one is pretty different I think. So I found an ls2 complete motor & tranny( haven't been able to ask him whats it out of) with 90k for $3500. As stated in a previous thread I can get a 1998 Camaro z28 with 138k & a blown tranny for now $1000 because the transmission was complete blown & motor wont start. Well I was thinking about dropping the motor & tranny out of the z28 & dropping in the ls2 engine & tranny. Would there be any issue with this, is it a direct fit, or will there be a lot of things I need to swap?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Want2BeFirst
I know im making a lot of threads but each one is pretty different I think. So I found an ls2 complete motor & tranny( haven't been able to ask him whats it out of) with 90k for $3500. As stated in a previous thread I can get a 1998 Camaro z28 with 138k & a blown tranny for now $1000 because the transmission was complete blown & motor wont start. Well I was thinking about dropping the motor & tranny out of the z28 & dropping in the ls2 engine & tranny. Would there be any issue with this, is it a direct fit, or will there be a lot of things I need to swap?
It will fit. There are a couple of things that are different tho. The cam sensor is in the front cover being one of them. You will need a conversion harness to transfer the signal to the pcm. I am sure there are other minor differences, but not having done this thats the only piece i know.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Teching In

doing research it seems like the ls1 is quicker, there is a 95 Camaro z28 that's a 383 stroker lt1 with turbo 350, 410 rear axle for $3500 obo? or I can get an ls1 with new pistons & rods and stuff with a turbo for $3800 but I think it looked like an ebay turbo but I asked him about it. Are ebay turbos save to run & worth it?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

doing research it seems like the ls1 is quicker, there is a 95 Camaro z28 that's a 383 stroker lt1 with turbo 350, 410 rear axle for $3500 obo? or I can get an ls1 with new pistons & rods and stuff with a turbo for $3800 but I think it looked like an ebay turbo but I asked him about it. Are ebay turbos save to run & worth it?
Speaking from experience, you wont be able to buy a motor and a turbo with the necessary mods that go with it. If you are doing a turbo you will be over the 5k mark easily with all the supporting mods you will need. I recently put a turbo kit on my TA and with a junk yard motor my ebay turbo build is running upwards of 6k.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Teching In

okay well heres another question. I can get a 98 Camaro z28 with 138k & a blown tranny for $1000, obviously im going to replacing the tranny but can I replace parts in the motor to make it make it strong & reliable while adding numbers? Looking for +425rwhp. Ill have $2400 to start off with to spend on motor. Any tips or advice? Ill buy used parts as long as they don't have high milage on them
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

okay well heres another question. I can get a 98 Camaro z28 with 138k & a blown tranny for $1000, obviously im going to replacing the tranny but can I replace parts in the motor to make it make it strong & reliable while adding numbers? Looking for +425rwhp. Ill have $2400 to start off with to spend on motor. Any tips or advice? Ill buy used parts as long as they don't have high milage on them
Personally, I would look into getting a lower millage junk yard motor. I was able to get my 6 liter with 60k miles on it for $850. Everything has a shelf life and using an engine with almost 140k miles on it could last forever or it could break the first time you get on it. Nothing is bullet prof, but I would look into getting a motor from a donor car. Just my opinion and you will get plenty of other answers from other people. Im just one person . At the very least, if you plan on keeping that engine I would do a complete bearing swap.

Quick Reply: Swap