Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank sensor waveform?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank sensor waveform?

I'm trying to figure out my P0300 and put my crank sensor on an oscope to see what's up. I was expecting a square wave, but I got this. It could easily be caused by my lack of oscope skills (i know what 3 or 4 of those ***** do). But what do you all see when you check this sensor?

The computer's obviously getting something out of this signal.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Ok, I don't have a solid answer even from some of the electrical guys I know. But I think my scope is eating the square wave while trying to measure it. The crank sensor must put out very low current (which makes sense, the ECU doesn't need current). In fact it must just charge a small capacitor during events that holds the square wave while nothing is happening, unless you're using my scope/probe setup.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smcnealy
I'm trying to figure out my P0300 and put my crank sensor on an oscope to see what's up. I was expecting a square wave, but I got this. It could easily be caused by my lack of oscope skills (i know what 3 or 4 of those ***** do). But what do you all see when you check this sensor?

The computer's obviously getting something out of this signal.
That's normal for an inductive pickup when reading it raw from the source. What comes out of your pcm can be digital or sine waves to drive different components.
If you were reading a hall effect switch which came in an old mallory unilite you might get the pattern your expecting.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Oh, by the way. There's nothing wrong with that signal.

Quick Reply: Crank sensor waveform?