Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

normal noise or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default normal noise or something else?

Ive had this noise for as long as i had this car. I have longtubes and this strange little tick i hear and it drives me crazy. From what ive read its normal valvetrain noise from the thinner walls of the long tunes. Id like some input this video is not my car and my noise is not as loud but is just about same noise and its said on there to be normal noise. I have a large cam, etc

Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

What it sounds like to me is either a lifter isn't pumping up fully or a normal valve train tick. You can do a lot before you have to pull things apart to figure out what it is and fix it. Idk what type of weather you have during that video, but a stock LS2 calls for 5w-30 so if you use synthetic the oil is thinner when hot then conventional so what you can do is change the oil up. Maybe go to a 10w-30 if it's hotter outside and then winter go back to 5w-30. Like me in AZ it's 95-100 in the morning so I never get to use the 5w part of oil, so I run 10w-30 because it'll coat better then 5w-30 at those temps. If the sound goes away, then it's a lifter not pumping up fully.
Another reason could be you have some engine sludge built up either in the pulshrods or anywhere else on the oil ports on those heads, so the oil fully doesn't get there (even with synthetic it still sludges) so what you want to do it run a good oil flush. Not the stuff you can get at autozone, napa or orielleys. I recommend calling around to your local mechanics and asking what kind of product for oil flushes they use. My shop, we use BG products and that **** works great! Use a can or 109 flush and the. Put good oil (can do 10w-30) at the same time to save money, and add a can of MOA, which is additives that help wear and protects from it. Do that and then let us know if the noise is still there. If it is you might have to pulls heads and have some work and replace those valve train parts of the noise REALLY REALLY BOTHERS YOU
Old 07-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01SilveradoJakie
What it sounds like to me is either a lifter isn't pumping up fully or a normal valve train tick. You can do a lot before you have to pull things apart to figure out what it is and fix it. Idk what type of weather you have during that video, but a stock LS2 calls for 5w-30 so if you use synthetic the oil is thinner when hot then conventional so what you can do is change the oil up. Maybe go to a 10w-30 if it's hotter outside and then winter go back to 5w-30. Like me in AZ it's 95-100 in the morning so I never get to use the 5w part of oil, so I run 10w-30 because it'll coat better then 5w-30 at those temps. If the sound goes away, then it's a lifter not pumping up fully.
Another reason could be you have some engine sludge built up either in the pulshrods or anywhere else on the oil ports on those heads, so the oil fully doesn't get there (even with synthetic it still sludges) so what you want to do it run a good oil flush. Not the stuff you can get at autozone, napa or orielleys. I recommend calling around to your local mechanics and asking what kind of product for oil flushes they use. My shop, we use BG products and that **** works great! Use a can or 109 flush and the. Put good oil (can do 10w-30) at the same time to save money, and add a can of MOA, which is additives that help wear and protects from it. Do that and then let us know if the noise is still there. If it is you might have to pulls heads and have some work and replace those valve train parts of the noise REALLY REALLY BOTHERS YOU
good info. this is not a video of my car. my noise is similar but much quieter. i run a 5w-30 right now and its in florida right now so its very hot here. the noise does not get louder as i rev motor just is there mostly coming from the headers. i do plan to switch to a 10w-30 on the next oil change. im not to bothered by the noise as more worried if it would affect performance.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Launching!

any other ideas? anyone ever have this noise also? any inputs appreciated
Old 07-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Well im still not going to chalk it up to being normal. I am currently running a 5w-30 in a hot climate. I m thinking of running castrol 10w-30 or 10w-40 what do you guys think will be better. Car runs great and everything else is fine oil pressure is perfect. I dont think i have a failing or collapsed lifter im guessing possibly my oil is on the thin side. Im rinning a 418 ls3 with just about everthing so o can understand some valvetrain noise but i want to make sure theres no issue. Any inputs greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Launching!

another thing is it seems to come when the car is hot
Old 07-19-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Put some Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer
Amazon.com: Lucas 10130 Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. Quart: Automotive Amazon.com: Lucas 10130 Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. Quart: Automotive
in the engine oil. You will be happy I listened to mine make all kinds of noise for 75k, not no more! Now its nice and quiet. This product should come with every GM car and truck.

Quick Reply: normal noise or something else?