Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Purchase

I am probably going to sell my 98 hardtop A4 black Z-28 w/ 44K miles on it (if anyones interested ) Well, I am looking for a SS, I know I know no performance differences between a Z and a SS, but i love the look and said I would never sell my car unless it was for a SS. I am looking for a newer one, and have heard the 99's are hit and miss with the performance. I want either a silver or black t-top 6-speed SS, thats my only preference other than mileage of course. My question is this, which year would be my best bet for this, a 2002 would be hard to find in my price range, but would a 2000 be sufice, or are the 01's better, ect. Opinions please......
-Kyle
Old 06-13-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 01's have a different cam, with more low end. I wouldnt go any older than 00, cause the 98, 99's dont have the ls6 intake. The 01's and 02's also have larger fuel injectors 28lbs. which will be nicer if you plan to do mods!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

There's an 01 SS 6spd, sunset orange, leather, T tops, 14,000mi car at a dealer (Winkle Pontiac,GMC, Hummer) here in Reno. Nice car I drove it today. Can be bought for $19K. If it was a hard top I wouls have traded my 98 SS conv for it.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:43 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by natronathon
The 01's have a different cam, with more low end. I wouldnt go any older than 00, cause the 98, 99's dont have the ls6 intake. The 01's and 02's also have larger fuel injectors 28lbs. which will be nicer if you plan to do mods!
98's also have 28lb injectors

and clotus, the direction your going to take your car in and how many mods you plan will effect what year to get. if you plan extensive mods i'd go with a 98-99 since you'll be replacing half the **** anyway. if you just plan basic bolt ons get a 01.

honestly i say just keep the Z, buy the SS hood and spoiler :shrug:
Old 06-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you on buying just the hood and spoiler, but I also want to get a 6-speed, so I would rather just get it all in one. Plus I dunno but to me, although I think the hood looks sweet either way, I don't wanna be a "posser" if you get what I am saying, I would rather have an SS right out, not a Z28 with SS stuff. I know I know, they are basically the same, but I am planning on keeping the new camaro for a while, like a long time, so later down the road it would be worth more. Any other opinions or comments? or am I just crazy?
Old 06-14-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

well is your car paid for, because if not going from a 99 to an 00, your going to take a big hicky on, (you might be upside down, meaning you owe more on your car than what it's worth) and some if not all of the balance would be transfered over to the new ride, so if it isn't paid for, you might want to get a 01-02, (since your going in debt anyways) However you might be better off selling it or trading it to a member on this site, theres alot of hard core racers, who might want the weight savings that your car has to offer over the SS, but either way Good Luck with your decission...
Old 06-15-2004, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

"theres alot of hard core racers, who might want the weight savings that your car has to offer over the SS"

I don't think the weight difference between the two could amount to much at all.