New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre Purchase Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Purchase Help

Local guy recently listed old nova for sale with installed ls1, auto tranny, ecu, and wiring harness from camaro. Car starts and has been pulled in/out of garage under its own power but not driven down street pending config for rear gear swap. Assuming the drive train is good, I'm trying to determine worse case scenario and ballpark cost based on the limited info I have. Being my first time wandering into this and reading several conversion posts I'm wondering if I could see worst case issues like:

- wire harness replacement
- ecu replacement
- ecu programming
- engine sitting too high for driveline
- ?

Any advice is appreciated that can help me decide if I should pull the trigger. Tried contacting local ls "experts" but guess they are too busy to respond.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:24 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I would count on it needing a tune.
Engine sitting too high isn't really a common problem. The LS engines mount almost exactly like a small block so its a bit hard to screw that up. If the subframe has the stock frame stands, this won't be an issue.

I would worry about how the trans was mounted, what driveshaft was used, what oil pan was used, how well the exhaust was done, and how the radiator/fans is setup.

To be honest, if everything is there, I would worry more about the shape of the actual car. When I built my Nova, I put more money into restoring it than I did the LS swap.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I would count on it needing a tune.
Engine sitting too high isn't really a common problem. The LS engines mount almost exactly like a small block so its a bit hard to screw that up. If the subframe has the stock frame stands, this won't be an issue.

I would worry about how the trans was mounted, what driveshaft was used, what oil pan was used, how well the exhaust was done, and how the radiator/fans is setup.

To be honest, if everything is there, I would worry more about the shape of the actual car. When I built my Nova, I put more money into restoring it than I did the LS swap.
Based on you comments, guess I better add some more info.

- front suspension is heidts
- rear suspension is tci 4 link
- rear is ford 9" with 3.7:1
- exhaust is redirected to sides in front of rear wheel well due to tci suspension and ground clearance
- what I see in regards to cooling is a tight squeeze between radiator and engine with this sequence: radiator, fan(s), intake filter, engine. There doesn't appear to be enough room between fan and engine to put a 90 degree elbow and redirect intake filter to side.
- from what I can tell the I don't see any issues with the car other than needing interior

The guy wants $11K for car so I figure if getting it on the road and fixing any issues doesn't go nuts I'll be ok. It's just that there are alot of non stock components here and making sure they all work together might require an advanced engineering degree for me.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

If the engine isn't mounted very high, you could look into swapping out the intake manifold for something a little taller and running an elbow on the throttle to fix the filter location. Putting it behind the radiator is going to draw in some heat.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by JoeNova
If the engine isn't mounted very high, you could look into swapping out the intake manifold for something a little taller and running an elbow on the throttle to fix the filter location. Putting it behind the radiator is going to draw in some heat.
Good suggestion. Any thoughts on potential drive line issues with the after market parts? I'm thinking nothing major but having a second opinion helps. And I do appreciate your advice.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Teching In

We've purchased hot rods, muscle cars and looked at many resto-mods.

In the end, it is a bit of a crap shoot. That said, here are some suggestions we followed (and learned)

#1. Quality and detail of work. It doesn't have to be perfect or concourse level - but how did they route wires, what hoses did they use for brakes, fuel, etc. How cognizant were they of clearances, fit, etc

#2. Quality of parts. And they don't have to be most expensive. But if you've got expensive, good heads and totally crap headers. Why?

#3. What works and what doesn't will tell you what care and thought process went into the build.

We went recently to look at 70 GTO resto mod. Paint was great. LS1 ran fine. But they didn't put in temp or oil pressure gauges. In my mind - what kind of car person does all that work and leaves out most basic gauge ? And the custom made center console was held down by Velcro. Really?!

Walked away. And it worked out. Week later found our 02 TA

Good luck. It's all a gut thing in end if your at least somewhat versed in cars. Trust your gut.

Quick Reply: Pre Purchase Help