Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on header wrap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on header wrap.

First off this forum has been a lot of help for me on unbiased reviews on performance parts. Thanks everyone from ls1tech. Anyhow I have a 04 Silverado 1500 with a lq4 swap. Mods are TSP 2.5 ls6 heads, ms3 cam 110lsa, LT, dual 3" into a single 4". The reason why I'm running such a big exhaust is in the future I'm planning on stroking the lq4. Would wrapping my headers to the x pipe help keep the heat in for better scavenging? Or would it be just a itchy waste of time. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

There's not a header manufacturer out there whose warranty you won't void if you wrap headers. Over the long term, it's pretty hard on the header. If you're serious about keeping heat in the exhaust stream AND managing underhood heat, have the manifolds and head pipe ceramic coated inside and out. Much more durable, effective and easy on the pipes.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I've wrapped most of my turbo setup. It works great but it does have its downsides.
I can usually touch the downpipe with the car idling and its not too hot.

On the other hand, if you manage to spill any oil on it, it will soak in and smoke for days. I also had some thin exhaust piping crack right where the stainless zip tie was on the header wrap.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies I decided to just go ahead and wrap them. I'm not to concerned about the pipes breaking down, it gives me excuse to buy some better ones when they fail.

Quick Reply: Question on header wrap.