Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing engine parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Storing engine parts?

Since my engine probably won't be finished till late spring 2005 and probably not installed until mid to late summer of 2005, I need to store the parts. right now my block has a piece of plexiglass on top of it with the intake on top of that and is serving as a coffee table . That is only temporary, as my engine stand arrives next week and the motor will be moved to my closet (I lub clean engine parts). my biggest concern though is what to do about the block itself. It's been stored indoors (in my living room) for about 4 days now and there's already some spotting of (i think it's rust) from the extremely high humidity we have in FL. what should I do to keep this block (and the other pieces I aquire along the way) from becoming rusted while it's stored for 8-12 months?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive seen people cover it with a trash bag, and taping the end off.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:43 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deckhand
Ive seen people cover it with a trash bag, and taping the end off.
Spray it all over, inside and out with WD40, RP7 or equivalent. Then wrap it thoroughly in glad wrap and finally with a thick plastic or bubble wrap. That keeps it sealed away from air, dust and moisture.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackVXGTS
Spray it all over, inside and out with WD40, RP7 or equivalent. Then wrap it thoroughly in glad wrap and finally with a thick plastic or bubble wrap. That keeps it sealed away from air, dust and moisture.

thanks. I'm going to assume I should do the same thing with my heads, cams, pistons, etc. as I get those in.