New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed

IS THIS A GOOD BUILD? Guy wants to trade my bbc for it....I have a forged LS1 bored with a stock polished crank,new bearings,forged H beam rods, forged wiseco 10.25 flat top pistons,mls head gaskets,arp rod bolts,arp head bolts,prc milled 243 heads,bigger valves,blended bowls,LJMS stage 2 turbo cam,pac 650 dual valve springs,7.4 hardened push rods,brand new timing set,upgraded trunion rockers,brand new Holley intake and I have brand new motor mounts,brand new shorty headers,ls swap oil pan and also have truck oil pan. msd 6LS box and a lot of brand new parts in the box for an LS swap. That I’d get rid of for the right price. This engine has less than 1,000 miles on it. It was always naturally aspirated. But it’s ready for your turbo kit or nitrous. This is a Very strong engine.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Very first post and it starts as a build question then becomes a pricing question then becomes a for sale ad. Not off to a good start on the forum lol
Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 PM

So I am a NEWBIE to LS builds and you guys are seasoned I just wanna know if this build is a good one based on what he said was in it....That so hard? I dont know the first thing about these engines.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:57 PM

Bump bump bump
Old 09-27-2018, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I wouldn't touch it. It's a mismatched build without good details. Just go get a junkyard 5.3 for a few hundred or a 6.0 for a couple hundred more. Or drop 1,500 on a beater Silverado/avalanche/express and you'll know the engine is complete and runs before you even start. Better to start with something that hasn't been slapped together at random.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulwells
IS THIS A GOOD BUILD? Guy wants to trade my bbc for it....I have a forged LS1 bored with a stock polished crank,new bearings,forged H beam rods, forged wiseco 10.25 flat top pistons,mls head gaskets,arp rod bolts,arp head bolts,prc milled 243 heads,bigger valves,blended bowls,LJMS stage 2 turbo cam,pac 650 dual valve springs,7.4 hardened push rods,brand new timing set,upgraded trunion rockers,brand new Holley intake and I have brand new motor mounts,brand new shorty headers,ls swap oil pan and also have truck oil pan. msd 6LS box and a lot of brand new parts in the box for an LS swap.
Parts selection on the surface sounds decent. A honed rebuilt LS1 block is fairly good but not ideal for forced induction. We used one for my 383 LS1.

I imagine most folks would ask why was the motor rebuilt?

What year LS1 block?
The 97-98's LS1 blocks can't take much more than a .005 clean up hone. They are sometimes weaker than the later year ones. The 99+ can take a little more clean up. People have burst liners even with 3.903" never mind the 3.910 max. 5.3 is better block for boost along with along with pretty much all the other blocks except LS6.

Which Wiseco pistons?

Which lifters? Stock? new LS7? After market?

After being ran for 45 minutes, at full temperature hot what's the oil pressure at idle?
​​​​​​
Honestly, the person doing the man work and the person building the motor would be bigger factors to me than parts selection.

Parting it might get you more money than selling. I would tend to trust a junkyard 5.3 that GM built over a rebuild with unknown man work. Of course, if receipts show a quality name shop did the build that would be different.

That I’d get rid of for the right price.
There is a what's it worth section in the classified section of the boards that might help with determining value.

This engine has less than 1,000 miles on it. It was always naturally aspirated. But it’s ready for your turbo kit or nitrous. This is a Very strong engine.
Why sell it if it runs strong and has less than a 1,000 miles?

Quarter mile times, engine dyno or chassis dyno results can help support the cases that it's a strong running engine. Recent video also. If you decide to sell it.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 10-02-2018 at 08:58 AM.