Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving position

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving position

Hello everyone, not sure if this is the right place for this post, please bear with me. I have trouble finding a good driving position in my 01 Trans Am T-top manual. Im about 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I feel like when I get comfortable driving the car (close enough to the pedals and shifter) the steering wheel is too big and gets in the way, sometimes I even have a hard time getting out of the car.

Is this just the way the car is or am I doing something wrong? Im used to driving smaller japanese cars (BRZ, MR2, IS300) and I was way more comfortable daily driving those. Now that I finally came back to driving some V8 powah it seems extra impractical. Any help is appreciated as I otherwise love the car.

Thank you!
Old 09-06-2020, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can always upgrade the steering wheel to a smaller circumference.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
You can always upgrade the steering wheel to a smaller circumference.
Thanks for the response! I thought about that but I would hate to lose the airbag since its my daily. I commute on a fairly dangerous highway and airbags already saved my life once when I broke my knee.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

I get what you're saying. I'm just shy of 6'0" with a 32" inseam and have the sense of being too close to the steering wheel when the seat is adjusted to fully depress the clutch comfortably. This is different from my A4 car which feels just right with the seat all the way to the rear.

What works for me on the M6 cars is to have seat positioned to where it's a bit of a leg stretch to fully depress the clutch, but comfortable toward the steering wheel and shifter.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I get what you're saying. I'm just shy of 6'0" with a 32" inseam and have the sense of being too close to the steering wheel when the seat is adjusted to fully depress the clutch comfortably. This is different from my A4 car which feels just right with the seat all the way to the rear.

What works for me on the M6 cars is to have seat positioned to where it's a bit of a leg stretch to fully depress the clutch, but comfortable toward the steering wheel and shifter.
Yes, well for me I only feel too close when its time to get in or out of the car. I can be perfectly comfortable while driving, but in a position that feels very difficult to enter/exit the car, like Im too far forward and close to the wheel.

But since posting I have been experimenting a lot with getting as far as possible from the wheel and I found the exact thing, it seems to work best when you are far enough away to stretch for the full clutch pedal depression.

Quick Reply: Driving position