Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel smell in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022 | 08:29 AM
Teching In

Default Fuel smell in my garage

Hey all,

Just had a few things replaced on my vehicle (nothing to do with fuel). I smell fuel in my garage, I don't see any fuel/moisture around the tank or the nozzle... do you know where this could be coming from? One thing I do notice is that sometimes the car won't start right away, it will crank for about 1-2 seconds then start, even when priming the fuel pump (accessory on position).

The mechanic who fixed the other parts (knock sensors/wires/plugs) did notice it took a bit to startup sometimes but not all the time, he thinks it may be the check valve but says it's more of an annoyance now vs needing to drop the rear end to swap the fuel pump.
Old 01-24-2022 | 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

I agree with a faulty check valve (fuel pump) as being a likely reason for the extended (intermittent) cranking. I'd suggest hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and see what sort of PSI is delivered on prime, and how long pressure is maintained after priming period (engine off).

The fuel smell could be a leak in the EVAP system, I'd watch/check for DTCs (SES light) relating to this. Could also simply be a loose or bad fuel cap allowing vapor to escape (which would also eventually result in an EVAP code).
The following users liked this post:
hdaniel85 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022 | 08:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree with a faulty check valve (fuel pump) as being a likely reason for the extended (intermittent) cranking. I'd suggest hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and see what sort of PSI is delivered on prime, and how long pressure is maintained after priming period (engine off).

The fuel smell could be a leak in the EVAP system, I'd watch/check for DTCs (SES light) relating to this. Could also simply be a loose or bad fuel cap allowing vapor to escape (which would also eventually result in an EVAP code).

I am having them replace the existing fuel pump with a Racetronix w/hotwire kit on Wednesday, along with a few other upgrades to the suspension and exhaust.

Quick Reply: Fuel smell in my garage