Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scraping

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scraping

man i scraped my car bad tonight. it sounded like someone took a bat and hit the underside of my car. i was going very slow into a gas station that had a very angled drive (i was going up and then the drive just leveled off). when i got home and looked at it, nothing seemed to even be touched. the little piece of metal that goes across the driveshaft and exhaust right where the y-pipe merges into the i-pipe seemed to have a scrape on it, so i ASSUMED that's what i hit, although i don't know. is that metal brace a common thing to hit? any worries if i did hit it?

i'm actually a little worried about this, since it seemed so bad. a guy at the gas station (when i scraped) didn't even look up, and he was pretty close; so i guess it sounded MUCH worse from inside the car, and i might not have even hit anything THAT hard (since he didn't hear it).

i know i didn't hit the oil filter, and i know that immediately after this, i hit my cutout also, but i hit that frequently. i'm concerned - what are some things that i definitely don't want to hit when something like this happens for (so i can go under my car and check) and what usually gets hit when you hear scraping?

also, i looked under my car, which is lowered, and noticed that my y-pipe is about 2 inches off of the ground. i don't remember it being this low, almost as low as my cutout, but it still kind of bothers me. it doesn't seem to be able to go farther up, and it doesn't look like it's hanging low, in a sense, i guess i just never noticed it was so low. also, i'm sure my car has dropped some since i "dropped" it. thanks for any suggestions or help.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:07 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that tunnel brace (thing you got a scrape on) is pretty tough, unless its mangled badly, i wouldnt worry about it. if you hit somthign thats flat (speed bump, steep drive, etc.) , its only going to hit stuff that can take it like the exhaust. its when you run over a log, or somthing that can hit the oil pan for instance, you need to really worry. i had to swerve to avoid a freaking ALTERNATOR in the middle of the street one day lol.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

My car isn't lowered and I sometimes scrape my stock y-pipe driving around here.

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
i had to swerve to avoid a freaking ALTERNATOR in the middle of the street one day lol.
That guy must have been bumpin some mean stereo.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it didn't even sound like a scrape, more like a hit. nothing was consistent about the noise, and it didn't last for long. it just sounded like the underside of my car got hit by a bat. definitely wasn't anything around the oil pan/filter area though.