Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb ???

I'm brand new to GM.. never owned one before, and just got a 2000 C5 LS1.

I've messed around some with Ford Modular engines. I went the full route N/A with my stock bottom end '96 TBird last summer. My latest project with the birdie is an intercooled T-trim with all the goodies and has been in the works for a year and this is where it's at:

Yeah, that's a Corvette intake on the T-trim.

Anyhow, I got tired of driving my stocker bird around for a year and needed an American muscle fix, so I bought the C5, and I'm loving it big time. It's my first Vette - heck, my first GM.

I'm going up to Commerce next weekend to watch the SSHS 4 event, and to check on my car, which is being built in Atlanta. I'm gonna drive the Vette up and hope to hook up with a tuner up there somewhere, maybe Prescribed Power.

I did a search and came up essentially empty. I'm sure the info is on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I don't know anything about tweeking the GM PCM, but I've had my fords tweeked by SCT (Jerry W.) and I'm thinking some of the principles have got to be the same.

The LS1 is bone stock, and I intend to keep it that way, for awhile anyway. I'm thinking that I can get more spark with colder spark plugs and a colder T-stat. I'm a believer in copper plugs.

What plugs and T-Stat are you guys using for better performance with a tune?

I'm gonna have the A/F flattened out, get as much spark as I can with an OEM tune, and adjust the shift point and TC lockup schedule. If anyone knows someone besides Prescribed in the Atlanta area, please let me know in case they can't do it.

Thank's guys. Oh and here I am on the "dark side" last year at SSHS 3:

Oh BTW, I got elimintated on a double break-out...

-mike
Old 10-31-2004, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Welcome aboard. Lots of good information here.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well frankly, plugs and a T-stat won't really offer up any power gains, but a tune will give a little, again not much on a stock motor. I'd say dont mess with it unless you are going to do some serious mods.

Anyways, most of us use NGK TR-55 spark plugs and 160 or 180 t-stat (usually 160) made by Hypertech. On F-bodies, getting a new T-stat is preactically useless unless you lower the fan settings. I am guessing this is the same on Vettes too.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Well frankly, plugs and a T-stat won't really offer up any power gains, but a tune will give a little, again not much on a stock motor. I'd say dont mess with it unless you are going to do some serious mods.

Anyways, most of us use NGK TR-55 spark plugs and 160 or 180 t-stat (usually 160) made by Hypertech. On F-bodies, getting a new T-stat is preactically useless unless you lower the fan settings. I am guessing this is the same on Vettes too.
Thanks, I'm assuming the fan settings would be lowered by the tuner. The principle is that you can generally add a bit more spark with colder plugs and T-stat. It probably doesn't make much difference in the LS1 in the 'cause the factory tune is probably fairly high performance. With the Ford Modular engine the amount of spark added is pretty significant, but most of them are factory tuned for low octane gas as well.

Like I said, please excuse the dumb questions.. It'll take me awhile to get "up to speed" on the LS1..

-mike