Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie questions

I finally have some money to start modding, now I have some questions before I do my first mods:

When looking for subframe connectors, is there a huge difference between brands / styles. I have heard that tubular are stronger. Another question is any one brand better than the other. Would I notice a difference between something like BMR to something like SLP's?

Also is there anyplace to get decent price on lids / FTRA. I see people all the time on here getting lids for 50-70 bucks, but every site I have been to are atleast $100. (SLP, MTI, etc etc)

Last question, is it really necessary to change plug wires when changing plugs. (car has 50k miles) I'm putting on NGK TR55's this week.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Most lids go for around $100 new. If you see people saying they got them for 50-70 they probably bought them used. You can also save some money by getting "not-perfect" ones from the companies that make them. I got my clear lid from TSP for only $75, they're around $130 normally I think. The process used to make them somtimes leaves little dots on the plastic and so it's easier to see on clear. I can barely see them markings and only from very close, but I saved money on it. Best bet would be used, not like there is much people can do to screw them up.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as subframe connectors I can't tell you who most would consider to be the best. I'm interested in this as well so I will continue to watch this thread. As far as changing the wires you don't have to. I changed my plugs first and changed my wires later and performance didn't change either way( if it did I couldn't tell). Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zymosis

When looking for subframe connectors, is there a huge difference between brands / styles. I have heard that tubular are stronger. Another question is any one brand better than the other. Would I notice a difference between something like BMR to something like SLP's?
Boxed are stronger than tubular. You wouldn't notice a difference between brands of the same style, IMO.

Also is there anyplace to get decent price on lids / FTRA. I see people all the time on here getting lids for 50-70 bucks, but every site I have been to are atleast $100. (SLP, MTI, etc etc)
look for sales in the group purchase forum or look in the parts for sale add if you want to buy used.

Last question, is it really necessary to change plug wires when changing plugs. (car has 50k miles) I'm putting on NGK TR55's this week.
its not necessary, but if the wires look beat up, i would change them. i would do a search or call a sponsor to get a definite answer.