Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STB Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STB Question

Okay, I picked up a UMI stb when they had the gp going on, just got around to installing it now. The mounting bracket sits flush with the wheel well on the passenger side, but on the drivers side it doesn't want to sit down flush with the surface. I tried moving it around to see if I could get it to, but couldn't. I just tightened everything down and I don't see a problem with it, but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before, or if they realize I'm just missing something. The UMI stb's don't have mounting brackets that are adjustable, so I just figure that the bracket isn't on the correct angle. Any thoughts?
Old 04-02-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
Okay, I picked up a UMI stb when they had the gp going on, just got around to installing it now. The mounting bracket sits flush with the wheel well on the passenger side, but on the drivers side it doesn't want to sit down flush with the surface. I tried moving it around to see if I could get it to, but couldn't. I just tightened everything down and I don't see a problem with it, but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before, or if they realize I'm just missing something. The UMI stb's don't have mounting brackets that are adjustable, so I just figure that the bracket isn't on the correct angle. Any thoughts?
I have the same STB. The install is a bit peculiar. Not really their fault...it just is. If you torque it to spec (I forget how many ft-lbs), it will fit flush. Or as flush as it can get with those small lips where the metal overlaps there. You will need to set the bar in place, get one side started, but do not bolt it down too far, get the other side started, and slowly crank each side a little at a time until both sides are almost flush. The torque to spec. If you use the right combination of a swivel and extenstion you can use a torque wrench on the inner bolts too.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

I made two shims out of the correct thickness aluminum so my BMR tower brace would bolt down flush (flat).
Old 04-03-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the Hotchkiss and it fit well,but tight----not really a problem--maybe is your car a high mileage one???I put mine on at 5000 miles or so.....