Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loosing power

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loosing power

Okay, when i smash down on the skinny pedal, my car takes off like it should, stays until red line border, shifts and climbs again. Well about 3rd gear i notice a huge drop in the powerband holding onto it like it used to. Can anyone help me to figure this out. For a min I was thinking maybe the tc but i think i would be screwd in any range, right. I'm not getting any smoke, no idle probs,.....maybe....hell i dont know thats y im asking. If any of u have had something similar happen let me know what u did about it, thanks .
Old 04-29-2005, 03:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well about 3rd gear i notice a huge drop in the powerband holding onto it like it used to.
not sure what you are trying to say here....?

are you saying the car is falling on its face in 3rd gear and it was not before?
or are you saying when it shifts into 3rd it feels like the rpms are goin up but the cars acceleration is slowing?...

the trouble being gear dependant, points to the tranny itself, most likely your 3-4 clutch bands. time for a freshen up.

(hope it turns out to be something cheaper,good luck)
Old 04-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Launching!

what happened there was my typing error it was supposed to say not holding onto it like it should. Yes, when it hits 3rd my revs are going up but its not really pushing though.....that'll suck if i have to dig into that tranny.....thanks for the input though
Old 04-29-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

my friend is basicly having this same problem in 99 grand am gt, hes 1000 miles over due for an oil change, so i told him to get that changed, and he just put on a ported tb a few weeks ago so im thinking it might be that...let me know if you find out what your problem is so i can see if its something similar...
Old 04-30-2005, 04:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 camaro
what happened there was my typing error it was supposed to say not holding onto it like it should. Yes, when it hits 3rd my revs are going up but its not really pushing though.....that'll suck if i have to dig into that tranny.....thanks for the input though
yup definatly sounds like your 3-4 tranny parts...(sorry)
hey look at it this way... taking it to a normal tranny shop for an overhaul would cost you as much(normally) as it would for you to step up to a nice built tranny.... so now is a great time to get that upgrade out the way....

(pm sent on good tranny builder)
Old 04-30-2005, 05:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
my friend is basicly having this same problem in 99 grand am gt, hes 1000 miles over due for an oil change, so i told him to get that changed, and he just put on a ported tb a few weeks ago so im thinking it might be that...let me know if you find out what your problem is so i can see if its something similar...
neither of those things have anything to do with the trans or converter....

1000 miles over due on a oil change(while not a good thing to make practice) will not decrease your power much ...(if any)
a ported TB, while it may help you pick up 3-7 peak hp will not create a seat of the pants differance.
the reason your friends grand am falls on its face when it shifts into 3rd, is because (while it is a fun little car to drive) a grand am does not have **** for power(yes the gt included) in first and second gear, the fact that the gears are so low make it feel quick off the line... however, in most 4 speed auto trannys 3rd is your 1 to 1 gear meaning in 3rd your motor has to pull the car without the aid of undergearing. being that the GA GT doesn't have alot of power to begin with, it feels like a significant drop in power shifting into 3rd....(my 2000 GA GT did the same thing)
the 4th gen fbody , does not have that problem...
the problem it DOES have in an auto tranny that, in most cases, is not strong enough to handle the stock power of the car, let alone when you start modding it.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

alright, first off, both my sis' 00 cougar and my 99 ga gt have gone through at least oiul change where it effected performance (i dont why, but for some reason it caused the engine to $h!t out), im not sure if his problem has ANYTHING to do with the trans or converter, im just trying to find out what some others opinions are, second, my friend has had his grand am for over a year, and about a week ago he started having power loss problems and idle problems...not to mention the gagt is no where near a slow car, especially when it can pick on v6 stangs, maros, and birds all day long(not that those are to fast themselves)...sorry if i just jacked this thread, but i was looking for an answer to a similar problem that 98camaro had
Old 04-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Launching!

jaberwaki....thanks man ...btw can u re pm me on that good tranny builder...never got it ...good lookin out though
Old 05-02-2005, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
alright, first off, both my sis' 00 cougar and my 99 ga gt have gone through at least oiul change where it effected performance (i dont why, but for some reason it caused the engine to $h!t out)
define, effected performance... i mean if you are going 10,000 miles over on dyno oil, then maybe... but if you give even a little **** about your car, then you have not, and you have probably never lost more then 3-4 hp(if that) from oil......

im not sure if his problem has ANYTHING to do with the trans or converter,
whos problem? your friends or 98 camaros?

second, my friend has had his grand am for over a year, and about a week ago he started having power loss problems and idle problems...
you made no metion of the idle problems...
looking at your post it appears that he had his TB installed right before it started giving him problems... is that right?
if so, then someone either leaked coolent, or put there greasy hand on the IAC(idle air controler), to fix, pull the TB back off, right under it is the IAC, clean it with isopropenol...

not to mention the gagt is no where near a slow car, especially when it can pick on v6 stangs, maros, and birds all day long

you just proved my point there chief, all of the cars you just listed there are EXTREMELY slow... not a single one better then a 15 second 1/4 mile time.

my 13.4 lt1 is SLOW... my 11 SEC ls1 is not fast on this site... if you own a 4th gen v8 you cant honestly believe what you just wrote...

can you?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

jaberwaki....thanks man ...btw can u re pm me on that good tranny builder...never got it ...good lookin out though

i resent the pm
Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

no $h!t a ga is gonna be slow compaired to a V8, but when put up against other V6's theres almost no contest that the ga will pull out in front...
...im as dumbfounded as you as of to why both me and my sis' cars have run like $h!t, then ran fine after an oil change...
Old 05-02-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, when i smash down on the skinny pedal, my car takes off like it should, stays until red line border, shifts and climbs again. Well about 3rd gear i notice a huge drop in the powerband holding onto it like it used to. Can anyone help me to figure this out. For a min I was thinking maybe the tc but i think i would be screwd in any range, right. I'm not getting any smoke, no idle probs,.....maybe....hell i dont know thats y im asking. If any of u have had something similar happen let me know what u did about it, thanks .
Tranny is slipping. Probably time for a rebuild.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

My buddies Lt1 did the same thing, but it was his opti-spark and old plugs and wires.

This doesn't apply to you...Could replace plugs and wires, that also could shorten u power.

Good Luck