Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Problem

I new no these forums and I seek experts advice. I have a '98 T/A and I just went to the race track for the first time in this car last night it was extremely cool weather (60's) and was running good. When I left to come home I had noticed that I was running hot 225-235 (when I wasnt running the car was turned off). Prior to racing everything was fine. I just changed the thermostat (160 degreee) 2day and no luck. Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong? The car has 89k on it and i am 2nd owner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I have a coolant flush done or could it be something else?

Last edited by SmokinHot98; 06-18-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokinHot98
I new no these forums and I seek experts advice. I have a '98 T/A and I just went to the race track for the first time in this car last night it was extremely cool weather (60's) and was running good. When I left to come home I had noticed that I was running hot 225-235 (when I wasnt running the car was turned off). Prior to racing everything was fine. I just changed the thermostat (160 degreee) 2day and no luck. Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong? The car has 89k on it and i am 2nd owner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I have a coolant flush done or could it be something else?
Don't want to insult you but are your fans working?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah they were but i think the new thermo didnt want to open up to circulate. I guess all the coolant didn't circulate all the way and so when I came back from a trip round the block she wanted to take in more coolant. Now shes running stonger and sits at 170-180 all the time
Old 06-21-2005, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I understand that you need to bleed the air out of the system if you take the coolant level down and then refill it.

Not sure how to do it but do a search, I'm pretty sure you'll find out how.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's something I found that sounds relevant to your issue:

Maintaining a completely full cooling system is likewise critical to its performance. Whenever cooling systems are flushed or coolant is exchanged, the possibility of introducing air into the system exists. See applicable Service Manual and bulletins for procedures. Air pockets in the cooling system can take as long as 161 km (100 miles) to be completely expelled. For this reason, it is critical to check the level of both the radiator and coolant recovery bottle 161 km (100 miles) after any cooling system service. Owners should be advised of the importance of maintaining cooling system at the proper level and referred to their Owners Manual for information.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by warpwr
I understand that you need to bleed the air out of the system if you take the coolant level down and then refill it.

Not sure how to do it but do a search, I'm pretty sure you'll find out how.
if you leave the radiator cap off and then turn the car to run if you have an electric water pump or if you have a regular pump just start the car, you will be able to watch the coolant begin to circulate down into the radiator, water pump, heads and such. you can then add coolant directly into the radiator until you can see it swirling in the radiator cap neck. it should be properly bled after that. it has always worked for me anyway
Old 06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to get it full you need to let it run and get hot and fill it up until the level seems to steady off. put the cap back on and run it until it gets hot, if it gets to 210-220 shut it off and let it cool a little bit. then pop the cap off and refil it, start it up and do it all over again until its full. this will make sure every bit of air is out.