New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf screen why??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This question has been asked over a thousand times. Three moderators have posted that it doesn't matter if you take it out or leave it in, yet, there is still people in this thread debating. It is pointless.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter if the screen is left in or taken out.
Anyone with common sense would rather not have obstructions in the airflow path.
Do I have any data to back up my claims? Nope...just real world experience.
Take it FWIW.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MAF screen is there to smooth out the air flow at idle only. Thats why when you take it out the idle of the engine gets a little rougher. The reason the z06 doesnt have one is because if your going to spend $5X,XXX on a race car, then you shouldnt care if it has a rough idle, and if you do then you need need either goe over it, or trade it in for a mini-van.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Retired Street Racer

My idle didn't change when I took mine out. All the local guys by me that have removed have never had that problem either.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

i think i might take it out after i get my autotap and see if i increase flow or anthything on there that i can see
Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I have my screen on and i'm always cleaning very small leave particles off of it....Someone explain how that **** got in there????
Old 01-16-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i dont know, when i changed my lid i noticed that dont understand it, its filtered so where does it come from. if its there in the screen im sure some gets thru sense its more like a honey comb than a actual screen at least on my stock 01' maf it is
Old 01-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsls1
Well I have my screen on and i'm always cleaning very small leave particles off of it....Someone explain how that **** got in there????
Maybe your lid isn't sealed properly and air (debris) is bypassing the air
filter. The screen will let more debris through than it will stop.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

ok the screen goes after the sensors correct, that how mine is but i was looking at some mafs on ebay for the hell of it lol ad the one i seen from another ls1 might have been a 2000 the screen looked like it was set up to be before the sensors by the way the plug for the sensor was possitioned and mine is oposite is that correct the screen is after the sensor. also do earlier ls1 98-00 have diffrent mafs than 01-02's
heres the pic of it
my sensor plug sits the same as that but my screen is on the opposite side i believe with the plug facing up on the driver side. if this screen was positioned after the senser the plug would be facing down or up but on the passenger side

Last edited by rgaynor85; 01-17-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4thgencamaro
My idle didn't change when I took mine out. All the local guys by me that have removed have never had that problem either.
Some people dont notice it.

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
ok the screen goes after the sensors correct, that how mine is but i was looking at some mafs on ebay for the hell of it lol ad the one i seen from another ls1 might have been a 2000 the screen looked like it was set up to be before the sensors by the way the plug for the sensor was possitioned and mine is oposite is that correct the screen is after the sensor. also do earlier ls1 98-00 have diffrent mafs than 01-02's
heres the pic of it
my sensor plug sits the same as that but my screen is on the opposite side i believe with the plug facing up on the driver side. if this screen was positioned after the senser the plug would be facing down or up but on the passenger side
The aluminum ends are seperate from the center plastic peice. it could have been flipped over. The screen is supposed to be before the sensor on all MAFs, because it straightes out the air flow, if it were after the sensor it would be completly useless. That pic might be of a full size truck MAF. They are in a different position and the connector is in a different place.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

hmm now i wonder why mine has been switched around hmmmm im gonna gave to look into it now doesnt make sense but im almost positive thats how it was when i changed my lid so we will se if it is i think ill try switching it and mayeb try getttin rid of it sense i see how it runs with it doin nuttin anyway lol maybe ill take a pic and u guys can tell me if its stock or if someone messed with it now im not sure lol
Old 01-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by CogginBallz
Some people dont notice it.
Some people, maybe, but I would have. I log everything with HP tuners. There was no difference on MY car when I removed the screen.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

ok well last night i popped my screen out which by the way was in correctly my mistake lol, but anyway i popped it out and polished the inside of the houseing with 2000 grit sand paper baby *** smooth and it runs exactly the same no problems or rough idle. i dont know if i feel any more response or anything like that i dont think i ever will but i couldnt hit the gas cause its raining here lol
Old 01-18-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsls1
It's a common problem with panel filters. Basically large debris such as leafs, leaf stalks and maybe even small twiggs will get around the sides of the filter.

Remember the box is not completely sealed, and the filter edges on extend to the lip not beyond. So it's quite easy for certain types of debris to be forced around the edge of the filter even with a good fitting and sealing air box lid and filter. Especially when you consider the pressure inside the airbox when at speed at WOT.

A cone filter would eliminate this issue or a re-designed airbox and filter edge.

I'm sure there's many people that don't have this issue, and it's probably due to:
1. Theirs is a good tight fitting air box
2. They do not drive where such debris is an issue (or at least reduced chance)
3. They simply do not see evidence of it, but this may be due to it having gone straight thru the intake system into the engine, so of course there would be no visual evidence of it.

If you see debris on the MAF screen, then at least you know it's not got into your engine.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a book I purchased on the Gen-III motors it was stated that the screen is, in fact, there to straighten airflow over the sensors. However, in the straight-through path presented by the F-body and Vette intake this is not required. It IS required by truck intakes that make a sharp turn near the MAF.

The book suggested it was not really required with the F-body and the Vettes and that removal is pretty much a no-brainer. I concur, and have had no issues with idle or other since I removed mine. The only change was that the exhaust no longer "burbles" when I let off the throttle a little in traffic and then pick up the throttle again. I kind of liked that little quirk.

When I looked at mine for the first time there was some trash on it...part of a moth and a grasshopper leg. I can't speak for the guy that owned the car before me, but there hasn't been anything on it since that day.

I don't see any huge problems. But I can see that some might. I mean, really, when people ask if it will hurt their car to add a quart of oil of a slightly different weight during their oil change.....I think maybe they need to read and learn more.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Removing the screen, allows your car to inhale quicker, giving you better throttle response. I no way does this damage you vehicle. Between removing the screen, an air lid, and K&N filter, you should see a noticable change in your throttle response. Not to mention that if you dyno your car as you modify it, you'll that you have picked up about 5-11 rear wheel horses along the way.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Teching In

to prevent any little metal or plastic pieces breaking off and flying into the combustion chamber i guess(after the air filter). I doubt it has to do anything with the airflow.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

looking at it its rediculous how restrictive it looks, id say if u crushed it to a solid plate and placed it inside the maf it would take a good 25%+ up of the over all diameter of the maf, also the slp maf says it flows i think 750cfm and if u need more take out the screen to get 1000cfm,witch would add up about right when i say it blocked about 25% of flow.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

It is very restrictive. get rid of it
Old 01-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Yeah........I am leaning more towards the wisdom of experience...........I swapped my de-screened OEM MAF out with my screened one this weekend, and noted two side effects:

1.Mileage went up from 20 to 24 mpg
2.Power went down, not substantially, but slightly.

I drive my T/A 140+ miles a day @ about 80-95 mph, (it helps to know all the troopers in my area) so I can benefit from the screen being there. But If I want to go to the track, I can always put my no screen havin MAF in there.

I should have flow numbers on both of them in different configs in a month or so.

Quick Reply: maf screen why??