Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging/Voltage issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Charging/Voltage issue?

I have a 2001 WS6 with a charging/voltage issue?

On cold start the voltage meter reads at about 13 volts where it should be, as the car reaches operating temp, the voltage gauge starts to drop and when the car is idling, it will sometimes dip down into the orange/caution area and shudder like it wants to stall. When you start driving again the voltage comes back up slightly, but not back to "normal" - Just replaced the alternator, battery, idler tension pulley and serpentine belt - stall having same issue - Voltage test show full charge on the battery and no issues with alternator - any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by BlackBeautyAZ; 05-04-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have the battery load tested, if for no other reason just to eliminate it as the problem. If that's not it I'd look at the alternator again, did you buy a new GM unit or a reman from an auto parts store? Friend of mine went through a couple remanufactured ones before springing for a new one. On a cold start voltage at the battery terminals should be like 13.8-14.4?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks!

Had the battery load tested - no issues there - then tested Alternator - it failed load test, so I had it replaced under warranty, put it on the car, same issue as before - I'm thinking it either electrical or crappy auto parts store alternators...
Old 05-09-2007, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

will the voltage move when you press the gas cause i have that problem