New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car check

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car check

this weekand im driving to kentucky (live in chicago) to look at a 99 z28 m6. I dont feel like paying a mechanic to do a thorough check on it so are there any things i can do to tell if there are any problems with the car like seeing if theres smoke coming out of the oil cap etc.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...thats quite a drive to pick up a car. Check for simple things of course,make sure transmission doesnt whine at high rpm. Listen for any sqeaks coming from the rearend and of course any funny noises from the motor. My main concern would be the tranny and the rear end. Hopefully others can chime in.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leaks, seals, metal on dipstick, dolor of fluids....burnt smell in them
Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Look at the car and ask yourself, has this car been taken care of by someone who likes it, or has it just been cleaned up to sell? Little things like a light out, turn signal doesn't work, engine dirty, clean air filter or an old one, minor defects that haven't been fixed. Cause you can't look inside the engine but you can use your intuition to decide what level of care the car has been getting. You can tell, if you think of it that way. I don't tolerate anything not working on my car like it should and I would bet I'm with the majority of members here on that. If the seller has let things go, then the engine has probably not been maintained well either. Things can still break at anytime though. So ya got to ask yourself, " are feeling lucky? ", well are ya?