Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Problems again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECM Problems again?

Almost exactly a year ago my 02 T/A began having an issue very similar to having water or substandard fuel in the fuel system. Normally the car ran great, but occasionally at idle, begin running rough and almost die. Also, while in motion, sometimes the engine would begin to sputter and fall flat on its face. Oddly enough, never once did the check engine light come on. Naturally I assumed the logical and took the normal steps to remedy a fuel problem but to no avail. Finally after nearly 2 months of in and out/guess and check visits to my local and well respected Poncho dealer, a faulty ECM was to blame. As of Saturday, my 93 T/A is having a very similar, if not the same problem. Naturally, it was snowing. Am I wrong to assume this actually could be a fuel/filter problem and start blindly spending money so close to Christmas, or should I go with instincts and go to my tech under assumption of another bad ECM. (the car has 80xxx miles, but the 02 only had 24xxx) Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:10 AM
TECH Resident

i would say for you to have two bad ecm's is pretty out there...i would assume something wrong with the actual fuel system on the 93...have you ever changed the filter/pump since you had it or know when it was changed last?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Havent had this car that long. Fuel filter would be a logical place to start seeing as how Iso Heet, octane booster, fuel system cleaner and a full tank of high test didnt seem to do much good. Is there an average life span for the fuel pump?