New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E problems

Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E problems

Tonight I was on my way to work and my car was only at about 1/4 of the way up on the temp gauge so things were still a little cold but when I got on the highway I got in it and when it went to shift from 1st to 2nd it started banging the limiter. I let out of it and it shifted into second then it went to 3rd and OD. I went down the road a little and went to kick it down to see what would happen and it kicked into second then started slipping so I was like WTF??!! So I kept driving it and third and OD were all still there not slipping a bit but still witht the second slippage. When I got to work I checked the fluid and it was low. Do you think this could be my prob just low fluid? If I top it off in the morning do you think It will start acting right again?? I sure hope so, I really don't feel like building this thing right now whilke its like 20 below!! I talked to a friend and he said that it could have to do with it being so cold and the fluid being thick and not being able to pass through the filter fast enough starving the pump. What do you guys think??
Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Teching In

sounds exactly like what happened to mine. mine i first noticed going up mall hills it would go into almost a ''spin'' like it was in neutral when it was about to gear down then slam into gear. then it started doing what you desribed.
i drove mine for about a month and the broke down and took it to the trans shop.
they replaced the gears within with a 'Z-Pak' 9gears and all that jazz...
i havent had much more of a problem with it. no more fluid loss either!
sorry to hear yours is doing the same! but it sems to be a common problem
Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

All of the functionality is ok as far as shifting down. Second gear will hold for a second then start slipping. I got to thinking about this. It is about 20 degrees outside and I have the fluid pressure turned up in the pcm, and the fluid level is low. When ever you take off it will stay in first like there is not enough fluid pressure to shift into second then after you let off of the gas it will go ahead and shift. third and fourth are fine no problems there at all, first is fine as well I think I have the pressure turned up higher going into second than in third. I am going to add some fluid to it in the morning and see what happens. I really hope I don't have to build this thing.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Welcome to the club!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
Welcome to the club!
Hey!! I don't want to be in the club..... STAY AWAY!!!! LOL!!!!

Well I have been pricing rebuild kits and they don't look to out of this worl price wise. I guess It just depends on wether or not I broke any hard parts.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
Welcome to the club!
I have a couple of buddies in Tulsa that are into the car seen. what area are you from??
Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know I had to drive my car one time last year when it was about 10below 0 and I know my trans slipped a little bit on me and I never even jumped on the gas hard and I noticed it slipping but it only did it the one time and it ran great all year so hopfully you wont be joining the club and all goes well

Goodluck man and dont beat on it and just drive it easy and see how it goes
Old 01-18-2008, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Man I appreciate the optimism!! I am going to baby it until it gets warm again outside tomorrow and after I get the fluid topped off, and see what happens. I am also going to turn the fluid pressure back down a little as well.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have gone through 3 transissions I don't know how much power you have but I would look into something better. I replaced mine with junkyard transmissions and that's what I got junk.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Running high trans pressure = broken hard parts. Just the way it is. Instead of raising the pressure get a good built trans instead. A good built trans will shift firmly and quickly on stock pressures. Low fluid level could cause the problem though but the cold will not cause slipping. I drive my car every way in the chicago and even on single digit temp days the trans doesn't slip.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:27 AM
12 Second Club

I am for the moment stock with a lid and a cat back. I am really thinking more and more (maybe just hoping but really thinking) that the fluid being low is my problem I am going to go ahead and turn the pressure back to stock this morning and add some fluid. I think this is what started the problem (low fluid) I am just hoping it didn't hurt anything on the way into work. really, really hoping!!

Search this Thread