Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

programers good or bad ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default programers good or bad ???

i was looking into buying a programer for my ss. i want to get more hp out of it let me know thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS king
i was looking into buying a programer for my ss. i want to get more hp out of it let me know thanks
If you can afford HP Tuners or EFI Live, go that route. You can also have it dyno tuned. If you prefer a programmer, I had the Hypertech for my 94 Z28 and it was alright. I now have the Crane Power Tuner for the 02 and like it much better. It's a "cookie cutter" tune but you can make changes to some of the more important variables (i.e. timing & fuel) and it has tunes for some of Crane's cams as well as a tune for forced induction.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

We need more info on your car. A good dyno tune will almost always be beneficial.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Launching!

I have a diablo on my WS6. I like driving it more with the tune do to it is more gas pedal friendly. Meaning when you hit the gas it instantly takes off, not thinks about it.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Programmers kinda do a generic tune. It's better than stock and if you just have a few bolt ons should show you some improvement. Once you cam it and start doing major modification... your way better off getting it dyno tuned. I'd even go as far as say you'd benefit at all times more from a dyno tune than a programmer, BUT if cost is an object than you will find some gain from a programmer.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 AM

ok i dont know how much all the hp tuners ls1 edit and all that is, i got FAST xfi, anyway wont he spend about the same buying a programmer or hp tuners? wont the programer be a waste?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS king
With a programming set up you need a lot of time on your hands and a good feel for seat of the pants changes.

You're not going to go in your current program and get major gains anytime soon.
You need a wideband to get the most out of your tuning stuff, for me that was $350 extra and the Innovate LM1 was such a pile of **** I sold it.

A one time dyno tune may be more cost effective depending on what you do to the car in the future.

I have HP Tuners and haven't seen the most power out of anything but I've turned off codes, swapped transmissions, improved driveability, it's a good diagnostic tool too.

I did delete torque management from a friends car, increased timing and he said it ran 3 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile. And the car was dyno tuned before I got to it.