Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forums...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008 | 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Default New to the forums...

Whats up?

I'm new to the forums and new to the platform of F-Bodies. I just bought a...

2000 Trans Am, A4, T-Tops, 36,XXX miles, red ext, black int, chrome rims, power everything, yadda yadda. Driven by an adult female non-smoker less than 4000 miles a year.

I've went from a '91 3000GT VR-4 to a Trans Am, so have patience with me.

My end goal for this Trans Am is 400RWHP in the next 6-9 months. 1/4 Mile times don't phase me, I'll get into that later.

What size headers can I get? 1 7/8? or is that too big? I plan on doing a cam later on, but the basics first. Hooker cat-back, ALL the free-mods and cheap mods, 3.73 rear-end gears, and probably a professional base-line dyno tune at RPM in Garner, NC.

Opinions on... shift-kits (from who and where to buy), suspension mods for a street driven car that MAY (not WILL), MAY see the track in the next year.

Just an overall welcoming and opinions on the first things to take care of first... mind you I'm still half Japanese, so things could get ricy! LOL
Old 07-24-2008 | 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Default 1st mod

Welcome to LS1 tech! Good choice one buying a Ta. The first mod that should be done is an air lid. They are less than a $100 new and good for 6-10hp.
Old 07-24-2008 | 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend has a 400rwhp camaro....
from my understanding he has:
LT headers, ORY, cat-back, lid, heads, mild cam, and dyno tune.
Old 07-24-2008 | 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TransAm_VS_VR-4
Whats up?

I'm new to the forums and new to the platform of F-Bodies. I just bought a...

2000 Trans Am, A4, T-Tops, 36,XXX miles, red ext, black int, chrome rims, power everything, yadda yadda. Driven by an adult female non-smoker less than 4000 miles a year.

I've went from a '91 3000GT VR-4 to a Trans Am, so have patience with me.

My end goal for this Trans Am is 400RWHP in the next 6-9 months. 1/4 Mile times don't phase me, I'll get into that later.

What size headers can I get? 1 7/8? or is that too big? I plan on doing a cam later on, but the basics first. Hooker cat-back, ALL the free-mods and cheap mods, 3.73 rear-end gears, and probably a professional base-line dyno tune at RPM in Garner, NC.

Opinions on... shift-kits (from who and where to buy), suspension mods for a street driven car that MAY (not WILL), MAY see the track in the next year.

Just an overall welcoming and opinions on the first things to take care of first... mind you I'm still half Japanese, so things could get ricy! LOL

Longtubes,Lid,Cutout/Catback,Cam with supporting valvetrain,tune.
Old 07-24-2008 | 05:02 PM
On The Tree

That sounds good. I don't want to do anything ridiculous such as a bigger motor, or rebuild the one I have. It only has 36k on it, so it should be good enough to handle basic bolt-ons and a cam, right?

My "race car" so I call it is at home in MA. The VR-4 has 15gs (that support 450AWHP with proper fuel and tune) and I basically threw way too much money into that car. I like it, yeah, I want it, yeah, do I drive it? No, she's at home in my garage. Needs to much work.

To get into a Rice VS Muscle debate, I like both these cars for many different reasons. A T/A is a no go in MA winter. An AWD VR-4 is. I'm stuck in NC for my enlistment, so I figured, why the hell NOT get a RWD car?

Lids... what kind? MTI seemed to have good gains (from GM High Tech article) anyone have issues with them?

Are the TSP 1 7/8 headers going to be too much? I'd do them and the TSP Y-pipe after I get a Hooker or other decent cat-back on my car.

Are Gear ratios a must? And will I have fun with them? Mind you, my VR-4 makes full torque at around 6000rpms, yes its rice, lol. I love the feel of a big motor for once!

Whats the deal with OBD-II port tuners? Hyper-Tech, SLP, etc... can I do all the transmission (firmess and points) along with change gear ratios and adjust for the richness caused by a full exhaust? Or is going to a shop going to be the best way to do it?

Thanks, I know I type a lot, but, this is my first American car!
Old 07-24-2008 | 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds good. I don't want to do anything ridiculous such as a bigger motor, or rebuild the one I have. It only has 36k on it, so it should be good enough to handle basic bolt-ons and a cam, right?

My "race car" so I call it is at home in MA. The VR-4 has 15gs (that support 450AWHP with proper fuel and tune) and I basically threw way too much money into that car. I like it, yeah, I want it, yeah, do I drive it? No, she's at home in my garage. Needs to much work.

To get into a Rice VS Muscle debate, I like both these cars for many different reasons. A T/A is a no go in MA winter. An AWD VR-4 is. I'm stuck in NC for my enlistment, so I figured, why the hell NOT get a RWD car?

Lids... what kind? MTI seemed to have good gains (from GM High Tech article) anyone have issues with them?

Are the TSP 1 7/8 headers going to be too much? I'd do them and the TSP Y-pipe after I get a Hooker or other decent cat-back on my car.

Are Gear ratios a must? And will I have fun with them? Mind you, my VR-4 makes full torque at around 6000rpms, yes its rice, lol. I love the feel of a big motor for once!

Whats the deal with OBD-II port tuners? Hyper-Tech, SLP, etc... can I do all the transmission (firmess and points) along with change gear ratios and adjust for the richness caused by a full exhaust? Or is going to a shop going to be the best way to do it?

Thanks, I know I type a lot, but, this is my first American car!
It's all good, at least you're a in an american car now. Forget about hyper-tech bullshit, when you do get a tune, go with a mail order if you're a bolt on car, dyno tune if you cam it.

Pricing, no where near how much you spent on that VR4, here's a few ideas.

Longtubes,Gasket,Plugs,Y-pipe - 700$

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=899&catid=45

TSP Cam with springs and pushrods - 600$

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=174&catid=49

3.73 Gears - 420$

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...mid=54&catid=6

Stall (not sure on which one u would go with) - $500ish?

Lid (lids are pretty much the same, some fit better than others- 100$

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...251e1d28db9f81

Mail Order Tune - 250ish

So basically, around 2500 and you'll be at or close to 400rwhp. Thats not including labor, i'm assuming you do not have the knowledge or have buddies that do. I couldn't give you an honest estimate on pricing.

Then it just goes up from there fast 92/92 intakes,heads,ported throttle body, pulley's,suspension, built rear/trans. The list goes on, forever.
Old 07-24-2008 | 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Well, I take no offense to "Thats not including labor, i'm assuming you do not have the knowledge or have buddies that do. I couldn't give you an honest estimate on pricing."

But... I worked professionally as a mechanic for 2 years before I enlisted. My best friend had a '69 Chevelle SS 454 and an '87 Buick Regal T-Type. Marriage and kids got in the way, so he has sold them.

I personally, have done every modification to my VR-4... Full intake, full exhaust, out-put shaft (trans to transfer case), plugs, wires, headers, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza alumin fly-wheel, shifter bushings, sound system, y-pipe, blow-off valve, crank pulley, timing belt (multiple times)... finally got it running good. Then my belt skipped timing... so I did a complete head replacement on my car, to include upgraded turbos (the 15Gs)...

The only people in the WORLD that touch my car is myself and my best friend. I have NEVER and WILL NEVER pay a cent for something that I could do myself. Dyno tuning, important welding, alignments, and machining is about all the labor I pay for...

I understand mechanics, but I always ASK before I BUY! I don't want to waste money on anything over-priced, under-powered and not capable of what I want it to do.

I rode in a 89 GTA with a 383 and a intake/LT/true-dual 98 Z28... both cars are the SOLE REASON why I have my Trans Am... RIDICULOUS POWER! lol
Old 07-24-2008 | 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I take no offense to "Thats not including labor, i'm assuming you do not have the knowledge or have buddies that do. I couldn't give you an honest estimate on pricing."

But... I worked professionally as a mechanic for 2 years before I enlisted. My best friend had a '69 Chevelle SS 454 and an '87 Buick Regal T-Type. Marriage and kids got in the way, so he has sold them.

I personally, have done every modification to my VR-4... Full intake, full exhaust, out-put shaft (trans to transfer case), plugs, wires, headers, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza alumin fly-wheel, shifter bushings, sound system, y-pipe, blow-off valve, crank pulley, timing belt (multiple times)... finally got it running good. Then my belt skipped timing... so I did a complete head replacement on my car, to include upgraded turbos (the 15Gs)...

The only people in the WORLD that touch my car is myself and my best friend. I have NEVER and WILL NEVER pay a cent for something that I could do myself. Dyno tuning, important welding, alignments, and machining is about all the labor I pay for...

I understand mechanics, but I always ASK before I BUY! I don't want to waste money on anything over-priced, under-powered and not capable of what I want it to do.

I rode in a 89 GTA with a 383 and a intake/LT/true-dual 98 Z28... both cars are the SOLE REASON why I have my Trans Am... RIDICULOUS POWER! lol
Thanks for not taking offense, i was assuming since this was the newbie section you did not know how. Glad you have the knowledge, now add to cart and get it rollin! Just trying to help out
Old 07-24-2008 | 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses. I just...

Have never owned American, muscle, V8, RWD, T-Top or automatic...

The GN/454 buddy of mine, told me to get an auto. I can theorize why (shift kit faster than human clutch shifting) but its all so NEW to me!

I don't want to mess this car up, because it is the nicest, lowest mileage, most awesome car I have ever owned...
Old 07-24-2008 | 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

how about some pics of the car!!!! o and if they r stock rims they are polished aluminum not chrome!!! as far as mods; pretty much wht everyone else has said