Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues...

well first of all i'll outline the car/engine and all that jazz
car: '76 280Z datsun
engine:2000 LS1, 224/224 cam, ls6 intake, headers/exhuast

problem: cold starts, or lack there of starting with a stone cold block.

Since my swap I've had some issues with getting the car to start with it being cold. By cold I don't mean sub 0*C (32*F) I just mean when the car has sat for more than a few hours and cooled off to the point where my coolant guage reads at the bottom (less than 100*)
It will crank and crank and then catch, idle will jump around at 300-800rpm and then die. Start it again and the same thing. If I try to give it some throttle while doing this it hesitates then the rpm's drop and it may stall out.

However, if I get out my old trusty torq's bit and raise the idle screw on the TB it will start right up and away I go. Problem solved. Well not quite so fast. If I do this I can drive around for a while and all is well. But it seems once the engine is heat soaked it now wants to idle at 2000+RPM. This is a problem as you can imagine. I am on the highway in 6th gear (3.9:1 out back) and I'm just above 2000RPM cruising along, traffic slows so i let off the gas. What ensues? Free cruise control becuase the car wants to idle at 2k so i have to get on the brakes or drop a gear to keep the RPM over 2k without stressing the clutch/brakes etc. Not impressed. So I pull over and re adjust DOWN the throttle idle screw, its fires up just dandy (engine's warm) and away I go as if nothing had happened. As you could imagine this is quite the hassle when just wanting to drive my car around. I'm VERY hesistant to have my wife drive the car on her own as its not really safe for it to idle on her at 2k rpm incase she freaks a little (Which IS understandable).

So there you have it.

Thoughts ? Comments? Helpful hints?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you bypassed the coolant lines going to the throttle body? Also you can drill out the hole in the throttle plate "just a little bit bigger" and that will give you more air at idle.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the bypass mod was done to the TB. Would this affect the start up?