Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Express is TERRIBLE!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 12:41 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my NX GM EFI kit, the jet assortment was FUBAR. The only correct matching pairs were for a 75 shot and the rest was a strange mix of sizes. Otherwise the kit was complete and everything worked 100%.

However, I called NX and they quickly and courteously looked up the right sizes and told me which jets I needed for each size of shot. I then gave back the jets to Nitro Dave (my dealer) and he quickly gave me the right jets in return.

Point is, they sent me a jet pack that had not been checked but they immediately and nicely got me the right info to correct it.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about these same problems before and others awhile back. I want to let everyone know that three years ago this same stuff was going on then and even three years latter still the same **** is happening. Makes you wonder why John Phillips went from NX to do his own thing under his name for those of you that know NX.

Just for the record I'm not posting this stuff just to wear on NX its only because of a long experience with there nitrous products. Honestley I wish there wasn't so many problems with there stuff because my buddy is a big dealer with them and I could beat most vendors prices on this board. If your even interested I could get you guy's the same deals if you consider to keep using NX but if I where you I would get rid of all your NX items with the exception of there Flow checker LOL!! And go with either NOS,TNT,Edelbroch or even Wilson Manifolds makes a very good quality nitrous kit called ProFlow. My self I have Jeff Prock at Applied Nitrous Technology do all my nitrous stuff. I guess only from broken parts and wasted money spent to cure or problems caused from NX products will only show everyone the light to switch.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gofast
Just for the record I'm not posting this stuff just to wear on NX its only because of a long experience with there nitrous products. Honestley I wish there wasn't so many problems with there stuff because my buddy is a big dealer with them and I could beat most vendors prices on this board. If your even interested I could get you guy's the same deals if you consider to keep using NX but if I where you I would get rid of all your NX items with the exception of there Flow checker LOL!! And go with either NOS,TNT,Edelbroch or even Wilson Manifolds makes a very good quality nitrous kit called ProFlow. My self I have Jeff Prock at Applied Nitrous Technology do all my nitrous stuff. I guess only from broken parts and wasted money spent to cure or problems caused from NX products will only show everyone the light to switch.
The only reason I went with NX is because of this NXL kit - no other reason. I wanted a plug n' play direct port kit and I liked the NX kit over the NOSzle because of the ease of installation, it comes with high flow fuel rails (NOSzle doesn't have that), and it was several hundred cheaper to boot.

I'm still not giving up on it just yet though, even though their customer service is crappy and I don't have all my missing parts yet.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

I understand completely. I will tell ya one thing about their rail system, be very careful with it because that whole idea about the rails has problems with liening out at high RPM's with big shots and will in fact burn pistons! NX knows and has not done anything about it nor do they warn people about it. There are some ways to help elimante this problem but does require some fabrication to the fuel rails.

Good Luck,
Old 10-27-2003, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand completely. I will tell ya one thing about their rail system, be very careful with it because that whole idea about the rails has problems with liening out at high RPM's with big shots and will in fact burn pistons! NX knows and has not done anything about it nor do they warn people about it. There are some ways to help elimante this problem but does require some fabrication to the fuel rails.

Good Luck,
How big of a shot are we talking here that causes the problem? The NXL kit is supposed to support a 300 shot..... I doubt I'll ever do much more than a 200-250 even with a built motor later on down the road. What kinds of fabrication can be done to the rails to keep the system from leaning out at high RPM?

I hope I didn't really screw up buying this kit..... it seems nice but....
Old 10-27-2003, 03:09 PM
7 Second Club

Received 295 Likes on 196 Posts

I will tell ya one thing about their rail system, be very careful with it because that whole idea about the rails has problems with liening out at high RPM's with big shots and will in fact burn pistons! NX knows and has not done anything about it nor do they warn people about it. There are some ways to help elimante this problem but does require some fabrication to the fuel rails.
OK, I will bite. What causes the leaning out problem besides not enough fuel system to support the level of horsepower, and what can be done to fix it.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's the SAME PROBLEM you'd have with the stock rails and a big shot -- whether its a nozzle, MAF, direct port, NXL, NOSzle, or whatever. If anyone thinks you can safely make 600+ RWHP on your stock fuel system, I don't want to be holding the mop when it goes *poof* If you don't have enough fuel to feed the rails (stock rails or otherwise) you are going to trend lean, and risk engine damage. I fail to see how that's NX's problem, or how they're hiding anything. The system, as delivered, operates perfectly on a stock or near stock setup with the largest jets they include -- just like their nozzle systems. Just like NOS' systems. Or TNT. Or CompuCar. Or anyone else who sells nitrous kits labelled for use on a particular vehicle. If you have a significantly modified car, and/or run jets you had to special order, who's responsibility is it to ensure YOUR car is set up properly?

What I'm speculating he's mentioning about needing to modify the rails is the fact it draws fuel through a factory style quick-connect fitting, which may not support the volume of fuel a very large shot would require. Is this a problem with the kit? HELL NO. Again -- it works as designed, for its designed application. If you want to go above and beyond (which the kit is capable of helping you do) you can simply remove this fitting, tap in your own -8 fitting or whatever size you want, run fat lines and a big pump, etc.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:53 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brains
It's the SAME PROBLEM you'd have with the stock rails and a big shot -- whether its a nozzle, MAF, direct port, NXL, NOSzle, or whatever. If anyone thinks you can safely make 600+ RWHP on your stock fuel system, I don't want to be holding the mop when it goes *poof* What I'm speculating he's mentioning about needing to modify the rails is the fact it draws fuel through a factory style quick-connect fitting, which may not support the volume of fuel a very large shot would require. Is this a problem with the kit? HELL NO. Again -- it works as designed, for its designed application. If you want to go above and beyond (which the kit is capable of helping you do) you can simply remove this fitting, tap in your own -8 fitting or whatever size you want, run fat lines and a big pump, etc.
That was what I was "hinting" at in my post when I said, "besides not enough fuel system to support the level of horsepower." I just wanted the guy to say something about NX's "problem".
Old 10-27-2003, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Gofast's comments have that "this guy told my brother that" feel. Who are you talking about?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brains
What I'm speculating he's mentioning about needing to modify the rails is the fact it draws fuel through a factory style quick-connect fitting, which may not support the volume of fuel a very large shot would require. Is this a problem with the kit? HELL NO. Again -- it works as designed, for its designed application. If you want to go above and beyond (which the kit is capable of helping you do) you can simply remove this fitting, tap in your own -8 fitting or whatever size you want, run fat lines and a big pump, etc.
Well, if this is the "problem" he's talking about I already knew about that..... obviously the stock fuel lines can't support a built stroker motor with a 300 shot, but I was just wondering if there was some issue with the rail itself or some other part that may have a problem at high nitrous levels.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

If there's a problem with the NX rails, there's problems with Aeromotive rails, Paxton rails, etc. No real difference at all between them and any other high-flow aftermarket rail, other than the fact NX gives you a factory quick-connect for convenience.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and is the problem with the rails, or the fuel system of the ls1.

if i took a -8 and fed the rails (with a Y in the back) to a FPR mounted to a Y in the front, would i have a problem, if i had the pump to support it?

Ryan.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,and other guys that the changes at NX has affected.I talk to Ricky at NX today about the problems that valued customers are having.I sent Ricky a link from here.He was very disturbed to read the things he had no ideal were happening.NX has grown at a rapid amount of speed in the last year.This happened from having a great product and good customer service.In the last six months they have put in countless number of hours to release the new products you have seen and some you have not seen.During this time some of the customer service,techs have moved on to higher points in there careers.This left NX very short handed and the techs that were there to fill the openings were short of the knowledge that were needed.They have been trying to learn and have came along ways.Unfortintly the attitude was expressed to Mike is something Ricky was not aware was happining.It has been confrunted and delt with.This is from Ricky---We strive in offering a great product with great customer service.If for any reason there is a problem with anything that has to do with Nitrous Express please email him directly at rickys@nitrousexpress.com...I have delt with NX for almost 3 years now.Every company hits hard times during growth.The key is how you deal with these hard times.Please do not judge this company buy these bad examples during this hard time.The problems have been addressed and will work out.I know I may sound like im kissing there but.However the truth is i have never been treated so good buy any company I have ever delt with.This company is built on good standards and they will take care off any problems brought fourth.If there is anything I can personaly help with let me know I talk to Ricky on a daily basis.Again for all the guys and gals on this site that support Nitro Daves,Nitrous Outlet we also appreciate it very much.
As for the NXL kit lets get a few more results on here before drawing conclusions.Yes you do need a fuel pump.Oh yea please ignore my hurrible spelling.LOL
Thanks
Dave

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Performance; 10-27-2003 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:16 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Performance
I talk to Ricky at NX today about the problems that valued customers are having.I sent Ricky a link from here.He was very disturbed to read the things he had no ideal were happening.As for the NXL kit lets get a few more results on here before drawing conclusions.
I for one am sitting on the fence here on this kit. I don't want to buy a kit now and have screwed up jettings that don't deliver what is advertised. Then have to go out and buy a shitload of new jets just to get the advertised ratings after the jettings are "revised". NX, include the appropriate jets for the published "ratings" and you have an NXL customer. I am awaiting results from others too.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:42 PM
Restricted User

Well, Dave already informed me of the Y fitting and lines that will be shipped from NX to me separately. No problem there, as I was informed and could have waited. As for the jets delivering a different HP, to a degree it is the nature of the beast, as noone on here can sell me a cam that will make XXX hp with the same combo. Some people get 100hp from 100 jets, others get 80hp or 110hp from the same jet size...

1) every car is different on its flow ability, and 2) I cant see jets being made to a high tolerance, they come off the machining and are most likely looked over loosely before shipping. So, your #52 jet may actually flow more or less than mine.

Also, it is believed that NX jets more on the safe side than any others, as for AFR, which will take a little away. But, just as I will mess with jets once mine is here, so did lots of people when DP first started, its nothing new, thats why you can change jet sizes around right, for your application, and desired power output.

Seems alot of griping about seemingly little things.

Charlie.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3
Well, Dave already informed me of the Y fitting and lines that will be shipped from NX to me separately. No problem there, as I was informed and could have waited. As for the jets delivering a different HP, to a degree it is the nature of the beast, as noone on here can sell me a cam that will make XXX hp with the same combo. Some people get 100hp from 100 jets, others get 80hp or 110hp from the same jet size...

1) every car is different on its flow ability, and 2) I cant see jets being made to a high tolerance, they come off the machining and are most likely looked over loosely before shipping. So, your #52 jet may actually flow more or less than mine.

Also, it is believed that NX jets more on the safe side than any others, as for AFR, which will take a little away. But, just as I will mess with jets once mine is here, so did lots of people when DP first started, its nothing new, thats why you can change jet sizes around right, for your application, and desired power output.

Seems alot of griping about seemingly little things.

Charlie.
Agreed to a certain extent, but the problem is there are only 3 jetting choices so far. If the 180 jets are as big as you can go and they put out say 130-150 varying on different cars that's not a very big shot (works for me cause I'm on a stock bottom end still.) I think people will be happier if they release more variety in jetting sizes so people can tune for their application better.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JF WS6
How big of a shot are we talking here that causes the problem? The NXL kit is supposed to support a 300 shot..... I doubt I'll ever do much more than a 200-250 even with a built motor later on down the road. What kinds of fabrication can be done to the rails to keep the system from leaning out at high RPM?

I hope I didn't really screw up buying this kit..... it seems nice but....
When I made the rail statement I was not only implying this toward the NXL this is directed toward any kit using this type of distribution method. The lien problem kept accuring on the dyno at higher RPM's when the motor was approching its max power band of 9000 rpms. The nitrous was activated at 4500 thru 8500 rpm's and as the power increased and nitrous continued through out the dyno pull on each pull while on the spray the EGT's would sky rocket and the dyno pull was stopped. Motor was not allowed to keep pulling to the max power band it made power NA of 9000rpm each pull while on the spray of a 400 shot was liening out far to much.

We tried changing solenoids,NX nozzles and came to the conclussion that the rail was the problem. I called NX and the questions I asked just where being answered primarily because the kit was so new that they really didn't have enought experience to make a safe assumption. You have to under stand NX as far I found out they NX does not even do there own R&D for there kits. I was made aware of this when I looked to them for information on this setup I was running and for a nitrous setup on a motorcycle. NX tech ended up having me call one of there subcontractor companys that in my opion new less about nitrous then I did. The gentleman I was instructed to called was a joke!

My engine builder ended up converting the rail system to a shower head distribution method and low and be hold the lien problem went away!

Now if you sit back and look at the design of the rail and lets start with the fuel side, you have a fuel rail and a nitrous rail lets sayone that works at either 5 to 7 psi low psi kit or high psi kit of 20 plus psi and then a nitrous rail that works at 1050psi not to mention you have to flow through the openings of the rail regardless of the line feeding it which do you think will hit the cylinder for one? Fuel at say 20psi and nitrous at 1050psi travelingg thru a small tube and then has to make a sharp abrupt turn into a even smaller orifice then thru a line and into a jet now injected into the cylinder? I can clearly see why the lien condition occured. Just ask your self how many people do you know that are really good nitrous tuners actually using rail systems and not having problems? I don't know of any.

I was reading some of the other posts on this tread after I replied and I'm not telling you to sell your kit but infact just giving a warning. As a matter of fact I would rather everyone just keep using the NX offered kits because that would give me all that much more of an advantage. You can use NX and I will go with what actually is making HUGE POWER and kicking everyones *** and that is nitrous from Jeff Prock at Applied Nitrous Technoloy!
Old 10-28-2003, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Well, forward this thread to Brian Havins at NX.

I think we are done.

I really did not like your problem, when you don't get all the parts, and it's not the fault of the distributor but the manufacturer they need to send stuff to you ASAP and treat you like a king. It's not your fault, it's a shipping error.

It's stuff like this that makes or breaks a reputation of a company.