Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get the perfect afr.. questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragframe
I dont see how that can be... AFR is AFR... plugs may give a little insight but AFR is one of the easiest tuning tools...

as for WHAT it should be 11.8...12...12.5... i dont know.

I would think for safety sake I would be looking at getting it closer to 12 flat.
W/boost we aim for about 11.8
Thats the point there is no perfect a/f the plug tells you if its happy. nothing tunes like the plug.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

I dont see how that can be... AFR is AFR... plugs may give a little insight but AFR is one of the easiest tuning tools...

I would think for safety sake I would be looking at getting it closer to 12 flat.
A/F ratio isn't whats important in a nitrous application, its the n/f (nitrous/ fuel) ratio that is important. The only way to know that is to know the flow rates of the jets that you are using with a given fuel pressure, along with the orifice in the solenoids, lines sizes, bottle pressure, etc. Richer is NOT better with nitrous, period. The only "safe" tune is the correct one, which involves reading the plugs, not an oxygen sensor.

Just as an example, when the tune-up on most of the engines that I tune is right, the a/f ratio is usually in the high 13's-mid 14's.

Last edited by WE TODD DID; 04-12-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would retard the timing by at least 3 deg. and your afr should go a little richer, stock tunes are relatively safe but i don't think they are safe enough for 100 shot. the timing table needs to be touched up. i know for me, when i run on the juice the eng. rides on cells that it doesn't normally see in n/a form. i certainly believe that it's true what they say about cutting and inspecting the plugs, but on the 100 shot you should be ok, if you just run 11.8 to 12.3 off the wb, the timing is equally important.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

A wideband sensor is not in the combustion chamber, plugs are and they will be more accurate then a wideband can be.

Figure out what the motor wants by the plugs and record what the A/F is when the plugs are right then you can monitor the A/F for changes.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by howellusn
Its still a stock tune and stock fuel system. The afr was flat at 13.0 no dips or anything. I think the dyno reads low as well as my n/a numbers weren't were they should be as well with lg lt's,catless x pipe, slp loudmouth, vararam and on 93 octane and tr6 plugs. Here is the dynograph.

Keep on with the suggestions as I am listening.
well from the looks of that graph, either the wideband is off or it too lean on motor to start with. IF its safe on motor the nitrous fueling looks to be in decent shape. read the plugs and see where you are at. make sure you dont idle the car befor shutting it down. make a pull, or WOT pass and shut it down, pull a couple plugs. go from there
Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

14.7 is stoich na is it not?? it was a 14.2-14.3 so it should be fine. Thats a stock tune there
Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by howellusn
14.7 is stoich na is it not?? it was a 14.2-14.3 so it should be fine. Thats a stock tune there
yes that is stoich, but WOT is not stoich. when in PE (Power Enrichment,wot fueling) it should be much richer than stoich, and a stock tune is usually too rich and not very flat..... the differance between the too pulls is what im going off of, not the actuall numbers. i think those numbers are off quit a bit
Old 04-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ATVracr
A wideband sensor is not in the combustion chamber, plugs are and they will be more accurate then a wideband can be.

Figure out what the motor wants by the plugs and record what the A/F is when the plugs are right then you can monitor the A/F for changes.
that makes so much sense to me, but don't you think it's overkill for a 100 shot and say 12.3 afr and good timing, or is there more hp by reading the plugs even on a 100shot? i mean how risky is it just to settle at 12.3 with the wb.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jetblast
that makes so much sense to me, but don't you think it's overkill for a 100 shot and say 12.3 afr and good timing, or is there more hp by reading the plugs even on a 100shot? i mean how risky is it just to settle at 12.3 with the wb.
As long as the sensor is good I dont see a problem with it.
Its hard to hurt something with a 100 .... you have to be WAY OFF with the tune.

There might be a few HP in dialing it in perfect.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Launching!

thanks man! ^^