Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Methanol as fuel for nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
More stuff you put in a car, the more problems you can end up with, that's what I have seen.

If you want good reliable power, keep it simple. Hell I know of people in the area running around with 390ish inch smallblock's and a single turbo that can't keep the tires on the car on any road, with pump 93 octane. You can only put so much to the ground, anything more then 700 rwhp on the street is 100% useless, hell even 600 rw is pretty useless 90% of the time.

My sled only makes 450 rwhp and when I had it on the street with the n/a converter it would blow the tires off with a whack of the throttle at anything less then highway speed, with the nitrous on forget it
I agree with you on that. Around here when the high hp cars come out to run, its with slicks. We have a little over a mile strait away with a guy at both ends holding up traffic. If any rolles up and also look outs for the cops. But most of the time its at the track.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm done with the street stuff... just too much risk these days. It's not like it was 15 years ago, cars back them weren't anywhere near as stupid fast either, probably another reason why it wasn't as big a deal.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Truth be told, I quit paying attention days ago....A lot of misleading information in here.

Thanks for the responses

-Will
Old 10-03-2009, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TARZAN
Truth be told, I quit paying attention days ago....A lot of misleading information in here.

Thanks for the responses

-Will
Misleading! What in this was misleading?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JL-WS-6 I could not aggree with you anymore than I do. everything you have listed in this post would be pretty much right out of my mouth.

I have people call me all the time that has read something on the internet and they are just simply over thinking and complicating there set up.

First of all why run methonal in just a dedicated. It washes the plug to where its hard to read conidering you are now trying to rear a plug that is burning both gas and methonal.
The methonal is very corrasive and the dedicated would have to be designed to work with methonal and it gets pricey. If you want to use methonal you mine as well set the entire car up on it and get ready to freshin it up every season. Methonal is not for a street/strip car.

For the guys wanting to spray using both a nitrous and meth kit I just dont understand why. Yes water meth kits are used to cool the cumbustion chamber and act as a buffer but honestly you have nitrous.. Weather in a bottle! Make sure you have the right octain of fuel and spray your heart out. No need for both.. Keep it simple..

For all you street/ strip guys using nitrous the best thing you can do is run the correct octain needed for the horse power in the tank and if using a desicated use race gas in it and go have fun.. The less complicated the set up is the less likely you are to tear it up.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tarzan,
I have talk to many GN guys using methonal in conjunction with the nitrous. If it were me I would set the intire car up that way or simply use race gas in the dedicated if thats what I was running in the main tank. Im not saying one is better than the other. But one is less complicated than the other.
Dave
Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
JL-WS-6 I could not aggree with you anymore than I do. everything you have listed in this post would be pretty much right out of my mouth.

I have people call me all the time that has read something on the internet and they are just simply over thinking and complicating there set up.

First of all why run methonal in just a dedicated. It washes the plug to where its hard to read conidering you are now trying to rear a plug that is burning both gas and methonal.
The methonal is very corrasive and the dedicated would have to be designed to work with methonal and it gets pricey. If you want to use methonal you mine as well set the entire car up on it and get ready to freshin it up every season. Methonal is not for a street/strip car.

For the guys wanting to spray using both a nitrous and meth kit I just dont understand why. Yes water meth kits are used to cool the cumbustion chamber and act as a buffer but honestly you have nitrous.. Weather in a bottle! Make sure you have the right octain of fuel and spray your heart out. No need for both.. Keep it simple..

For all you street/ strip guys using nitrous the best thing you can do is run the correct octain needed for the horse power in the tank and if using a desicated use race gas in it and go have fun.. The less complicated the set up is the less likely you are to tear it up.
Think about what you said! " Make sure you have the right octain" What is a meth kit used for? 2 things, 1. To cool. 2. Gives you more octain!!! Which keeps the knock down. So you can go to a bigger shot on the pump
Old 10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Tarzan,
I have talk to many GN guys using methonal in conjunction with the nitrous. If it were me I would set the intire car up that way or simply use race gas in the dedicated if thats what I was running in the main tank. Im not saying one is better than the other. But one is less complicated than the other.
Dave
Car will not be set up for 100% methanol, its a street/strip car. Honestly, I want to do methanol in the dedicated just to try something different. I've done 112 for nitrous for awhile, now I'm just trying something to keep it interesting.....I'm sure you can relate to that.

-Will
Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

I've been running a 225HP dry kit and spraying a Snow Performance meth kit also. Ive had great luck with it so far. Its not quite what the original post was about, but similar. You will have to be very careful with your A/F ratios, but you can add a lot of timing back in when using 93 octane in the tank. I wouldnt recomment it to everyone, but if you like to experiment around with tuning, I think its beneficial.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Update:
Marvel Mystery Oil doesn't mix with methanol. Dumped a cap full into my meth tank then watched it sink to make a little bubble at the bottom. This was using a brand new bottle of MMO and straight methanol (99.something% pure).

Drained the tank to get it out then tried another way. Poured some alky in a plastic bottle, half-cap of MMO, shake and watch the MMO separate into little red bubbles that collect at the bottom again.

MMO is oil. Methanol is alcohol. The two simply do not mix without additives to bind the different substances. MMO doesn't have the right additive.

THESE ARE METHANOL ADDITIVES FOR LUBRICATION!! And I've only found them online.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...type/lubricant

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=84&pcid=12
http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=51

Quick Reply: Using Methanol as fuel for nitrous?