Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the consequences of getting pulled over with nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matrik
I thought in VA it had to be disconnected if they check?
You are correct. Some cops don't care though.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

A lot of the state laws I've read seem rather outdated and are more targeted for penalties of open nitrous containers used for huffing which was more common back in the 70s and 80s. NJ does have a very basic permit process to get permission to transport nitrous. Now many do have laws saying it is illegal to use on the road, but that's a bit harder to prove. But as long as the line is disconnected, you should be fine.

My opinion - take the bottle out if you have no plans to use it. There is always the risk of carrying a pressurized cylinder in your car that it can rupture if hit in an accident or exposed to fire (the burst disk is not a guarantee the gas will be vented safely in either case). Or in the least mount the bottle in a hidden location so it won't even be noticed by law enforcement.

Common sense will keep you out of trouble 95% of the time.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Or in the least mount the bottle in a hidden location so it won't even be noticed by law enforcement.

Common sense will keep you out of trouble 95% of the time.
+1
Old 02-19-2010, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

this has come up tons of times on here. i haven't personally read or heard of anybody getting a fine for having a bottle in the car, connected or disconnected.

i've been pulled over numerous times, my bottle is always connected, and i've never had any issues. the cop will give me **** about it sometimes but i just say i only use it at the track
Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

The last I heard in FL is that it can be in your car and hooked up. But if they get you for speeding, excessive acceleration, ect they will fine you for using it on a public road. Or if the cop is a DB they can right you a ticket for not having a valve protector on.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here in CA. it all depends on the officer who pulls you over , my buddy got pulled over in his c4 which had 2 stages and ran a 5.90 and the cop was cool and let him go, i think the worst that could happen here in ca. is a reff ticket probably
Old 02-22-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
In VA it's not illegal or the cops don't care. I don't think it's the nitrous itself that's the hazzard but the pressurized bottle. If your car caught on fire there's a good chance that bottle will heat up to the point that it will explode and blow the back half of your car to bits. But if you had a fire proof blow down tube I doubt anything would explode...
I got a ticket 2 years ago in VA for having a bottle hooked up. Judge fined me $25
Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I got pulled over in my probe years ago and the bottle was visible. It was a small town cop and he didn't care or say a thing. I don't know if he just press the issue or just didn't care. My guess is in Ohio most cops won't bother you.

Quick Reply: What are the consequences of getting pulled over with nitrous?