Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous leak..need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default nitrous leak..need help asap

so yesterday I got my bottle filled for the first time...it was cold out last night and I opened it to test my solonoids...everything works great and it was only at 600psi.

well tonight, I picked up my bottle heater and got the pressure up to around 800 and noticed that my purge line was actually leaking pretty loud and my bottle pressure was no longer rising, just staying at 800psi. Well, I popped the hood, checked things out and came up with the fittings going out of the purge solonoid are leaking as long as leaking into and out of the actual aluminum purge line. I will tighten them tomorrow but is my solonoid bad? Its a brand new NOS powershot solonoid and today (besides from last night testing) was the first time it was used. It worry's me that its leaking on the outlet of the solonoid when its closed.

I need to figure this out asap because my car gets tuned this saturday on the bottle. Thank you for the help!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are 100 percent certain that it is leaking past the piston and out the outlet port there can be a couple of things wrong.

I would take and ush the purge buttom and let it fire. See if it seals then. If not its eaither because trash is under the piston of the piston is having a hard time seating.

Once trick you may try to get the piston to seat for the first time is to turn the solenoid over and pop the bottom of the solenoid will a dead blow hammer. Make sure pressure is on the solenoid. This will cause the piston to slam open and down hard and hopefully seating it.

If you used teflon tape that could and probably is the issue.... Teflon under piston.

If these easy things do not fix the issue you need to take apart the solenoid to explore what is wrong.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
If you are 100 percent certain that it is leaking past the piston and out the outlet port there can be a couple of things wrong.

I would take and ush the purge buttom and let it fire. See if it seals then. If not its eaither because trash is under the piston of the piston is having a hard time seating.

Once trick you may try to get the piston to seat for the first time is to turn the solenoid over and pop the bottom of the solenoid will a dead blow hammer. Make sure pressure is on the solenoid. This will cause the piston to slam open and down hard and hopefully seating it.

If you used teflon tape that could and probably is the issue.... Teflon under piston.

If these easy things do not fix the issue you need to take apart the solenoid to explore what is wrong.

Bingo! I DID use teflon tape and I already thought some maybe got caught under the solonoid...I will take it apart tomorrow but how should I go about cleaning this? take the lines off, purge the solonoid open and blow it out??
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Odds are the solenoid will have to be taken apart if the tape is in it. Never use teflon tape. Either use Loc-Tite or paste.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

I pulled off the purge line this morning and it deff. is leaking out of the solonoid.

so, how do I go a about taking it apart?? I went and got some pipe paste...oddly this is the only solonoid I had teflon tape on. I must have had a hangover the day I did it! LOL
Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
I pulled off the purge line this morning and it deff. is leaking out of the solonoid.

so, how do I go a about taking it apart?? I went and got some pipe paste...oddly this is the only solonoid I had teflon tape on. I must have had a hangover the day I did it! LOL
Do you have a solenoid wrench? This is the ideal way to disassemble it. If you don't, use the double nut method but be very careful not to bend/distort/gall or damage the tower in anyway.

For the double nut method, you'll need a nut the same size as the one currently on the solenoid holding the coil onto it. Sometimes the other solenoids you have are the same size, so you could just borrow one of them temporarily. Or just run to home depot and get the right size nut.

Lightly place the base of the solenoid into a vice to prevent it from spinning. Remove the nut holding the coil onto the solenoid. Remove the coil and cover by simply sliding it up off the tower. Thread both nuts onto the tower and tighten them against one another (hold the bottom nut with a wrench and tighten the top one against it). Use the bottom nut to unthread the tower from the base. As you approach the end of the threads, be careful as some small parts may fall out. Just remember which part goes where when re-assembling it.

Nick
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

thanks guys. I took it apart first thing this morning and it turns out it was just stuck a little open...so when I took the cylinder out, I gave it a few bumps on the pavement and tried to blow through it and it was good (blew through it before and I could hear the air going through)

so I reassembled it, did a quick purge and the leak was gone. I also cleaned out the threads from the teflon tape (was very careful) and put teflon paste on the threads instead.

we will find out how everything goes tomorrow because tomorrow morning is my dyno tune.

Quick Reply: nitrous leak..need help asap