Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i??

98Z M6. 145k miles. has new lifters, pushrods, springs. Heads were taken off, hand ported, pressure checked and had 3 angle valve job when cam swap was done. Mechanic said the rings looked good but werent replaced.

MODS:
!AIR !MAF
BBK SSI intake
hand ported stock 853 heads
comp xer281 cam 232/234 .595 .598 cam
pacesetter LTs ORY flowmaster catback
373s
TCI U/D pulley (25%)
Centerforce clutch

I REALLY feel the need for nitrous!! should i with so many miles and not a full rebuild or new piston rings? Will i blow my motor? What do you guys think? I dont want to replace the injectors or any other parts like that. Dry or Wet? Max shot I can safely do?

I know i will need a new rear end so leave that out of your response, thanks! (got a ford 9" in route)

and yes it will be dyno tuned after the install.

Last edited by 98z28mesh; 05-11-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how pissed would you be if it went? if its an eh, gives me a reason to build it then go for it......if its like im gonna sell this POS then dont.

No one can tell you yea itll last till 200k, you just never really know. Id hit it with a 75 wet shot if I were you but like i said, it may go on the dyno its just one of those things.

max on stock fuel system is about 100-150 shot especially with that many miles on a stock fuel pump. I think a wet shot would be safer for you though since you wouldnt have to depend ont he MAF,injectors, and pump to tune the car, itd be mostly fuel jetting.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of course Id be pissed if it blew, I'd like it to at least last the rest of the summer LOL! I was thinkin a 100 wet shot? Any other opinions?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont want to replace the injectors, youll really have to consider a wet shot. the stock injectors wont be adequate at the power levels youre looking at.

If you "really feel the need", by all means, go for it!!! just dont have the expectation of an everlasting motor. mabye it will last with for 300k miles, or mabye itll blow up on the dyno. my exact guess is somewhere between those two. but theres only one way to find out....
Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98z28mesh
of course Id be pissed if it blew, I'd like it to at least last the rest of the summer LOL! I was thinkin a 100 wet shot? Any other opinions?
Ya gotta pay to play, if you want the power you have to have expectations of having to build stuff. There is a limit on things, yes the LSX are damn touhg, but how much can you really ask out of it. I think youll be good but maintenance and tuning is KEY.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Ya gotta pay to play, if you want the power you have to have expectations of having to build stuff. There is a limit on things, yes the LSX are damn touhg, but how much can you really ask out of it. I think youll be good but maintenance and tuning is KEY.
The word "tuning" is the key word here. With a safe tune I have seen ls1's with your mileage and then some go on a 150 shot. The other side of that is I have seen people blow up their 30k mile ls1's by not making sure it is tuned by a reputable tuner.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:12 AM
FormerVendor

I have sprayed motors with more miles than that. There are things you need to take into concideration though.
How has the car been maintained?
Does it burn oil out of the ordinary?
You can do a compression and leak down test?
When you pull the plugs is there oil on it?

If the car does not burn oil, there is no oil on the plugs, and the test are good go for it.
If it does burn oil, there is oil on the plugs and the test are low well thats signs of ring wear and adding more power period will up the pressure and shorten the life.

As to wet or dry. Based on what you have said I would either put a wet single nozzle or plate system on it. You cant beat the ease of tuning and no need to worry about upgrading injectors.

Keep in mind with what you have you are more than likely going to need to upgrade the fuel pump.
Dave