Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling to many volts from the tach wire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulling to many volts from the tach wire?

I have a older style mallory window switch that is tapped into my tach wire, and for the last 10 years the nitrous system has worked amazingly. 2-3 weeks ago I installed a timing twister, and also tapped into the same tach wire (#10 white wire off the computer). Now at times the window switch makes a clicking noise, and doesn't work properly. Upon testing it will activate the nitrous at idle. It is intermittent.

Once I unhooked the timing twister's tach signal, the window switch seems to work properly. Could I be pulling too many volts from the tach wire to where the window switch is not working properly when the timing twister is armed? If so.. how would one correct this to where both the timing twister and window switch can be activated at the sametime?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The problem is not volts, it's excessive amp draw.
Use the tach signal to trigger a relay??
Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
The problem is not volts, it's excessive amp draw.
Use the tach signal to trigger a relay??

The tach signal is triggering the window switch, and the timing twister. The window switch is wired to act as the ground to the solenoids once the RPM's reach 3k.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm honestly not great at electrical crap, and hopefully somebody can correct me if I am wrong. Just trying to throw an idea out for you. But instead of hooking the tach wire up to the white wire on the pcm, what if you hook it up to the passenger side coil pack like some people do when wiring up nitrous kits. Maybe that would eliminate your problem. Like I said I am not advanced in this area, but I hope it helps.