Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous Problem

I have looked through multiple threads and cannot really find a thread that is dealing with the issue I am right now. Originally, I had a timing box, FPSS, and WOT switch wired up to my NOS plate kit. I have since taken the timing box and FPSS out of the equation to try to rule out the problem for diagnostics sake and I am still having the same problem

Problem: When I have the car running and the system armed, if I click the WOT switch, the fuel solenoid begins spraying but the nitrous doesn't. Also, after I let out of the WOT switch the fuel keeps spraying? When I just have the system armed with the car off, I can hear both the fuel and nitrous solenoids click. I have checked and rechecked my wiring and I am almost certain it is correct. I bought this kit used almost a year ago and am now just getting to putting it on. Could I have faulty solenoids, or am I still looking at wiring issues. The nitrous bottle pressure is at 950 when doing these tests which is close to ideal. I cannot figure out why the fuel would stay on after I "declick" the WOT switch and why the nitrous doesn't engage? I have tested the relay ports with a test light and every part of the system seems to be getting power when it needs to. Please help!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd test the nitrous solenoid directly. Unhook it from the relay and test directly off the battery (with the car off and venting in a safe location of course).
How long is the fuel spraying after you come off WOT? I think the fuel spraying was covered in another thread a few days ago too. Some coming out after deactivation is to be expected, too much could definately be a problem.
Are you triggering the WOT switch by hand, no binding issues or anything right?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Well I just tested the Nitrous solenoid off the battery. Everytime I touch the power wire to the battery the solenoid clicks but no nitrous comes out? Even when I press the WOT switch and then touch it to the battery it won't spray. What is a way to test whether or not nitrous is making it to the solenoid. I have a Nitrous Outlet purge before the Nitrous Solenoid and the purge is purging fine.

As far as the fuel. It still comes out full blast after the WOT switch is "declicked". There are no binding issues on the WOT switch b/c I am pressing it by hand.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

When you tested it, did you watching the nozzle for spray or did you unhook the fitting just after the solenoid? How do you have it from the solenoid to the nozzle? Hose or hardpipe? Could you have kinked it or have an obstruction. It can happen sometimes with hard tubing.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Launching!

I have the hoses disconnected from my plate kit and they are just sitting in two gatorade bottles so I can see whats happening. I have flexible braided steel lines for my setup and there are no pinches. When I purge the system, the line just after the purge is cold but it is not cold at the nitrous solenoid inlet port? I called NOS, they weren't very helpful but he thinks the solenoids are clogged with debris...
Old 06-28-2010, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

I just pulled my solenoids apart a few days ago, it's actually pretty easy.
Just remove the top nut with a wrench, take off the coil. If you don't have a solenoid wrench, use an adjustable wrench and grip the stem tight and loosen it. You don't want the wrench slipping and making big gouges in the stem.
It threads right out. The only parts on the inside are the plunger, a small spring and the o-ring. It should be easy to check for debris then.
You could also try to unhook both sides of the solenoid and blow some compressed air backwards through it. See if any junk comes flying out the supply side.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Well I figured out why my nitrous wasn't engaging. I had installed the purge wrong and it wasn't allowing nitrous to reach the nitrous solenoid. Now when I test the system, the nitrous turns on and off with the WOT switch but the fuel solenoid still stays on. I called Chris at Nitrous Outlet and he walked me through taking the fuel solenoid apart. I sent him some pictures and he thinks that the plunger is swollen. I went ahead and bought a Nitrous Outlet fuel solenoid from Chris. This should fix my problems but I think I'll keep my fingers crossed for good measure, lol.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Problem