Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking About Spraying.. Need some help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thinking About Spraying.. Need some help please!

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about throwing some giggle juice in the 'ol WS6. I recently just did a rebuild.. here's a brief list of specs..

LS6 Block with 39K miles
4L60E w/ 39K miles
PRC Stage 2.5 LS6 Heads
Torquer V3 Camshaft
Fast 92MM Intake
Nick Williams 92MM Throttle Body
FAST Fuel Rails w/ 36# FAST injectors
Holley 255R fuel pump
SDPC Double Roller Timing Chain

Stock bottom end
Stock 10 Bolt (no issues)

Car has about 410RWHP on a Mustang dyno..

What kind of kit would I want? A Dry setup? I imagine I wouldn't want much more than a 75 shot so I don't break anything, lol.

Could you guys help me out? Pick a kit, show me what else I would need, stuff like that.. Would I need to adjust anything

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you already have injectors and fuel pump upgrade you can go either way, Wet or Dry. I went with Nitrous Outlet and purchased a LS1 vehicle specific kit and an all out accessory kit. Since you can go either way at this point I would just read up on the stickies and see which one best fits you and your future goals. There are plenty of very fast cars running both styles.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

like carter said...... wet or dry is really a personal choice. with your setup you can go either way. check out www.Nitrousoutlet.com and www.Harrisspeedworks.com. both are Sponsors with GREAT Products and Awesome Service!! You'll need things such as: a timing retard device (MSD timing twister, LS1 Timing Tuner, or Lingenfelter are good ones), a Wide Open Throttle Switch (WOT)(either an electronic or manual microswitch), a RPM Window Switch(which activates the kit at set RPM and deactivates at set RPM).
I personally recommend the Harris speed Microedge as your nitrous controller. It has everything, except a timing retard, all in one device. Look into it.
I recommend a Bottle Heater, Nitrous Pressure Pressure Gauge (mechanical or electric), and Purge kit.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Are window switches needed? There's no use of just a nitrous button or something of the like?

I've never actually seen nitrous used so bare with me here lol.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

I like the nitrous outlet plate kit personally. You cant go wrong with harris either. I have nothing against nitrous express but they are a little pricey for me. A window switch is basically insurance you set the nitous to spray at certain rpms say 3k to 6k or higher if car goes higher. I say better be safe than sorry. You can buy complete kits with window switch, heater, purge and pressure regulater from n20 outlet. You will also want a way to pull some timing 2 degrees per 50 shot. The lingenfelter launch controller can pull timing and it is so easy to hook up basically plug into coil pack connectors and 1 wire. It has the ability to use 2 step also. Also you will want a nitrous plug gapped at no more than 35 I like ngk 3346 it is a br7ef.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Like billy said better safe than sorry! Nitrous has gotten such a bad name b/c of people using it carelessly, like wiring it straight to a button. As far as a timing retard, im just running around on a nitrous tune. What that means is the timing is already pulled ready for me to spray whenever. I think i lost 20rwhp.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

there are many different ways to spray a car. a window switch, wide open throttle or WOT switch, throttle position switch or TPS switch, or fast and furious style streering wheel mounted push button, and any combo of those choices. the way i started was with wiring diagrams, just start looking at how things are wired and you'll get a good idea on what you feel comfortable with. If you love electrically controlled convenience, you should choose something like a digital controller, that does rpm "window" and tps. some of the easier ways would be just a mirco switch mounted to the throttle body using a n2o outlet bracket. there are pros and cons with both, if you hit the throttle at 1500 rpm or miss a shift and over rev, your going to spray with just a wot switch, if you add a window switch and mash the gas your only going to spray within your selected "window", say 3000-6000 rpm. the more safety systems you add to your nitrous kit the more the price goes up. but as you can see it only takes one time to mess up and hurt the motor big time. i would think if your looking for a small hit, something like a 50 or 75 shot you should be just fine with a dry shot and a wot switch. if your looking for some serious drop in your e.t. you should up the game and get a plate kit from one of the vendors on this site. any of them will be willing to help answer questions you may have and be able to help point you in the right direction.

the first time i'd ever been in a car with spray was in my neon that i bought brand new off the showroom floor. i had 10k miles on the car and wanted more power. with the turbo being new i dont like the idea of ripping out a perfectly good working turbo to go bigger. so n2o was my answer, and with it being my daily drive and only car at the time i wasnt about to blow it up. i read for weeks on srtforums about how spray would work on a turbo car. well lets just say the car has 65k miles on the clock and i cant even guess how many bottles through it, and the car still runs and drives everyday flawlessly. i made 360 whp and 407 wtq on a stage one car with bolts ons and a 75 shot. im still on stock clutch, and axles, both of which people making way less hp then me break all the time.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the help guys. So, with a window switch, I would set what RPM I want the nitrous to spray at.. Would I flip a nitrous switch (to turn the system on) and then as soon as I'm in that RPM range, the kit would spray?

I'm looking around the N20 Outlet site.. they have some cool *** stuff. From what I understand, a dry kit goes through the induction system, and a wet kit through the fuel rails? Could anyone post pics of their kits/controllers?

Could anyone link me to a dry kit (or give me a part number) and tell me what else I would need with it?

Thanks again everyone, you've all been quite helpful
Old 07-05-2010, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Getting that itch huh?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Getting that itch huh?
Damn straight brotha.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Thanks for all the help guys. So, with a window switch, I would set what RPM I want the nitrous to spray at.. Would I flip a nitrous switch (to turn the system on) and then as soon as I'm in that RPM range, the kit would spray?

I'm looking around the N20 Outlet site.. they have some cool *** stuff. From what I understand, a dry kit goes through the induction system, and a wet kit through the fuel rails? Could anyone post pics of their kits/controllers?

Could anyone link me to a dry kit (or give me a part number) and tell me what else I would need with it?

Thanks again everyone, you've all been quite helpful
I'm fairly new to this just like you, and I have a HSW wet kit with the Progressive controller, and I love it! I have over 119,000 miles on my SS so i wanted to go safe, but safe doesnt mean its a pain in the *** to use. I in stalled everything with Wal-Mart tools and it was pretty easy with HSW direction and some help from the guys on tis forum. You can position your nozzle in the lid, the coupling, or in the throttle body just remember the small the distance the NO2 has to travel the harder the hit and the delay is shorter. Also if your gonna spray a dry shot make sure your injector can handle yeah? With a wet shoot injector arent a issue cause its coming off your rails. Like I said Im preety new also so veterans feel free to cover something if I missed it. I sprayed for my first time yesterday and OMG!! Im hooked.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

RPM window switch example set to 3000 min and 6200 max: you will have a Main Activation Switch mounted in dash, which "activates" your kit and lets the controller know to stand by. Once your RPMs hit 3000 (and you are at WOT) the controller will open the solenoids, spraying nitrous and/or fuel. Once the RPMs then his 6200, the controller will shut off the power to the solenoids. and so on for each gear until you let off the gas.

"Wet Kit" - nozzle or plate mounts in the intake tube between the MAF and the Thottle Body. Sprays Nitrous and Fuel from the nozzle/plate in to the intake. The kit supplies the extra fuel needed for the nitrous, which is pulled from the fuel rail.

"Dry Kit" - nozzle mounts in the intake tube between Air Filter and MAF. Once nitrous sprays and passes thru the MAF, the computer thinks the engine is sucking in Denser air, therefore supplies the extra needed fuel thru the Injectors.
If you use a Dry Kit w/ a Plate (that mounts behind TB) then you will need some type of electronic Interface that tells the computer how much fuel to add and when to add it.

Each have there pros and cons, but as long as you are staying under 250 hp Shot, either will work with your setup. Anything above 250hp shot it is recommended to use a Direct Port kit for maximum and accurate distribution.

As for as which kit..... just call Nitrous Outlet and Dave will be More than Happy to walk you thru it. I promise you wont be the first nitrous noob to call.

Last edited by YURVIEW; 07-05-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks again man. Cleared up a lot.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Here are a few pics of my plate kit and launch controller. dont forget to order a switch panal you dont want a lot of toggles everywhere.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Damn straight brotha.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Datankid069
Like billy said better safe than sorry! Nitrous has gotten such a bad name b/c of people using it carelessly, like wiring it straight to a button. As far as a timing retard, im just running around on a nitrous tune. What that means is the timing is already pulled ready for me to spray whenever. I think i lost 20rwhp.
Putting it on a button is not using it carelessly. Hitting that button when you are not supposed to is using it carelessly.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harris Speed Works Wet plate, with a Nano bottle, HSW interface for tuning.

You really can't go work with that!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks again man. Cleared up a lot.
Looks like most of your questions were answered. If you have any other questions about how an accessory works or why its recommended, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.

Nick