Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Questions on a Gen 1 SBC.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous Questions on a Gen 1 SBC.

Ok, I didnt know if I should put this here, or in the Gen 1 forum.

I'd like to run a wet plate system on my carb'd 355.

Specs are as follows:
010 block .30 over
Compression should be about 10.0 or 10.5-1
keith black flattop pistons with 5cc valve relief (hyper)
cast rotating assembly with shot peened rods
arp rod bolts.
summit 1106 cam
cloyes double roller timing gears and chain
air gap dual plane intake
461 heads ported and shaved with 1.6 roller tip rockers and 2.02/1.60 valves and dual springs of course.
long tube headers
edelbrock 750 carb
my ignition is a simple summit HEI unit with msd wires
I'm running an electric fuel pump and fuel cell, so my fuel system performs quite well.

I have a few questions,

1: How much nitrous could I VERY safely run. I want this motor to make it 50,000-100,000 miles if possible without too many problems.

2: How much should i change the timing? right now the cam is installed straight up, and timing is set to stock.

3: What about plugs? i currently have AC delco r45's (i think its r45.. i know it ends in 45) which i believe are fairly hot plugs.

4: one other thing I just thought of, part of my fuel line is 5/16" instead of 3/8" should I change that to keep up with the nitrous? I could very well be pushing 450-475hp with the nitrous and I'm afraid the 5/16" just won't keep up.

5: when installing the fuel solenoid, should I run it on a dedicated fuel line, or off the other port in my regulator?

I'd like to run a 100hp shot, but I would be content with a 75. Looking back I wish I would have built the motor for more nitrous, but of course that's hindsight.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1- as long as your tune-up is good it will last with a 150hp all day long....

2- IDK what you run as a base, but I run 38* on my SBC and with my first kit on I pull around 10* or so...pending on the air......I would pull 2-3 degrees for a 100hp and you will be ok..

3- I run AL3932's in my car.....I drive my **** on the street all the time and run the same plugs at the track...never had an issue with them. I run my gap at .024-.026 or so......

4- Call Cold Fusion and get there Stand Alone kit....best money ever spent....

5- see #4...lol.......

I would call the guys at Cold Fusion nitrous. They are super good guys to deal with and have a kickass product. I would suggest this kit......CFN-1508 and there stand alone kit....I run there fogger and plate on my car and have had killer success with them. I went from a NOS plate with a .073 jet and there fuel map to a Cold Fusion Nitrous plate with a .073 hit and picked up 1.5 tenths! Weather was the same, track was same.....Kickass service too....
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. 150 hp is your safe net. 200 max with the correct tune up.

2. Base timing can be tricky. Lots of variables come into play. I would start with 32-34 degrees and pull the plugs and look at the timing mark.

3. For a 10.5.1 engine you need to start on a #6 heat range N/A. You may end up with a #5 heat range. For a 150 shot I would say a number 7 with the right timing pulled and correct gas should be fine. I would use NGK plugs. They are easy to read.

4. Go ahead and upgrade the fuel line. Cheap insurance.

5. For a simple plate as long as you have a good electrical fuel pump that can support the power level you can pull fuel from the same system that supplies the carb. However a dedicated pump and regulator is better.

6. 100 shot will be no problem at all. I would be very confortable with 150hp

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Dave
Old 11-13-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Are they the hyper pistons? If so you have to run a larger than normal ring gap because of the heat the pistons make.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Questions on a Gen 1 SBC.