Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much nitrous could I spray ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much nitrous could I spray ?

what add'l info would I need to provide to to determine if I could support a 75-150 shot of NOS with a reasonable amount of assurance against disaster?

Currently 11:1 CR 100% n/a with stock rotating assembly except for cam .....signature has add'l info - spray would be used from 30-40+ roll due to still having not upgraded my rear end.

Is a 75-150 shot realistic based on my stock internals and 11:1 CR?

I know I;d need a tune which is NP - fortunately I have a great tuner.

I've also been told I'd need to upgrade my fuel system or a dedicated - which I don;t completely understand- hoping some one can explain specifically what upgrades of fuel system would be required?

Also what getting a dedicated would mean in this context?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Last edited by bossho; 11-12-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...rous-info.html
Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it depends, does it HAVE to be NOS? Or will any 'ol nitrous do? lol just messing around. Now I'll let someone with the answer post up, sorry
Old 11-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bossho
what add'l info would I need to provide to to determine if I could support a 75-150 shot of NOS with a reasonable amount of assurance against disaster?

Currently 11:1 CR 100% n/a with stock rotating assembly except for cam .....signature has add'l info - spray would be used from 30-40+ roll due to still having not upgraded my rear end.

Is a 75-150 shot realistic based on my stock internals and 11:1 CR?

I know I;d need a tune which is NP - fortunately I have a great tuner.

I've also been told I'd need to upgrade my fuel system or a dedicated - which I don;t completely understand- hoping some one can explain specifically what upgrades of fuel system would be required?

Also what getting a dedicated would mean in this context?

I will help here but a good place to put maybe your other questions is in the Nitrous Specific forum or PM JL-ws6, he is really good with the topic and has run successful with Nitrous for years.

NOS = a Company, not the gas. (FYI, avoid using NOS to describe the shot, people tend to get FLAMED for it here).
Nitrous Oxide is what you combine fuel with to put into the motor.

75-150 hp shot is the typical range for a LS1, there is leeway but to be safe, start with 100 and go from there. Some state you can do 200, but the issue is all kits are rated differently and really going by pill size is considered more accurate.

RPM will matter more then what MPH your driving. Also the RPM you should be at may still break the tires loose badly. You maybe better off with a push button activation switch rather then a WOT (wide open throttle) switch.

Having a good tuner is optimal, just make sure he knows LSx and Nitrous.

Most, including me would recommend a Wet shot, which uses a combined mixture of Nitrous and your fuel to make the shot. Diff between Wet and Dry is what sent into the intake. The "Dry" kits rely on fuel coming from the injector. IMO I want fuel and nitrous when I need it, and unless I spraying nitrous everytime I get get take out or going to the grocery store, the fuel maps do not need to be overly rich to compensate for the dry hit.

As for fuel upgrades, if staying Wet, then most times you get a 255 LPH fuelpump with a hotwire kit. If going dry you get that + injectors. As for a dedicated fuel system, IMO is VERY good at helping create a window of safety for Nitrous use.

In a normal "Wet or Dry" shot, your using your current fuel in the fuel tank which often is 93 Unleaded Octane. It's resistance to detonation is better then lets say 87 octane but not nearly as good as higher grade unleaded or leaded fuels.

What I plan on doing is when my kit goes on is getting a dedicated fuel cell for Nitrous only. Harris Speed Works sells a kit, so research them. The best part is when the Nitrous is activated that not only do I run my normal 93 oct. fuel, that the nitrous will be spraying a dedicated leaded fuel to open up that safety window. Mine will likely be C16.

Simply put that dedicated means that only leaded C16 race fuel goes in there so there is not having to "Mix" fuel at the track and hoping it works and this diminishes chances that left over mix fuel can foul up o2 sensors and CATS.

Also to mention you will need to change your spark plugs to a colder one. I am a NGK fan, but Autolites are a popular choice.

I still say go over to the Nitrous Spec section if you have more questions.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see this got moved over from LS1 newbie tech, good. I will certainly defer to any of the regulars here and there are some good people that can help you out.

Good Luck!

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 11-11-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bossho
what add'l info would I need to provide to to determine if I could support a 75-150 shot of NOS with a reasonable amount of assurance against disaster? read thru the link posted by 1198chevy37s, if you go dry you will need to know what your injector duty cycle is currently, if you go wet you still need to know duty cycle but you should be fine, never hurts to have an upgraded pump and wire kit

Is a 75-150 shot realistic based on my stock internals and 11:1 CR? Many of us spray well over 200 on bone stock rotating assemblies, it takes allot of research but it's worth it

I know I;d need a tune which is NP - fortunately I have a great tuner. if your na tune is spot on then a retune won't be necessary if you run a wet kit, you will tune your fuel by the jet. However you will need access to adjust the timing regularly

I've also been told I'd need to upgrade my fuel system or a dedicated - which I don;t completely understand- hoping some one can explain specifically what upgrades of fuel system would be required?Most of us run the Racetronics 255 in tank replacement with a Hot Wire kit, should hold up 650 rwhp give or take

Also what getting a dedicated would mean in this context? A dedicated fuel cell is basically a small 1-2 gallon fule cell that rides up front under your hood. This setup allows you to run pump gas in the tank and high octane race gas in the cell. The cell basically feeds the fuel solenoid on your nitrous kit and helps prevent detonation. This kit is has to be tuned differently due to different fuel pressures than stock. For a 75-100 kit I don't see any reason to go dedicated

not trying to be a smart A by no means but researching this forum you will find almost every answer you need. I had very basic experience with nitrous when i started and pretty much learned everything I needed to know on here with the help of some excellent members, pm me if you need more details to get you started

Answers in red
Old 11-11-2010, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

this stuff?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^that is teh stuff right there!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Carter01 has pretty much hit the nail on the head... I would with the system reccommend getting a window switch, N20 Filter, and FPSS ( Fuel Pressure Safety Switch ) even though most hate them. If you need some better explaination of anything dont hesitate to call me as i'd be happy to answer any and all questions/ concerns. See sig for contact #