Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kinda base timing should I run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What kinda base timing should I run?

Hello. I have a 406 sbc with Profiler 210 cylinder heads with as cast combustion chambers. 11 to 1 compression flat tops. 640 lift 252@.050 on a 108lsa isky hydraulic roller running pump gas with 34 degrees of timing making in the ballpark of 600hp.

I am preparing to spray it with a 175 shot and so far I have non projected -9 ngk plugs, a stand alone fuel system set at 5.5lbs of pressure and 110 octane race fuel. Was thinking of pulling about 7 degrees of timing at first to start putting me around 27 degrees of total timing. This sound reasonably safe??
Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much are you spraying overall? Do you run 1/8th mile track or do you run some 1/4 mile races? As you progress in your tune ups and increase jet sizes even the length of the race will come in to play.

I would pull 8 degree's. This will almost certainly be overly conservative, which is where want it. Since you are just getting started with your tuning I would like to see you on a 10psi tune up to start with. This is partly just personal preference.

Post up a overview of the system as well as goals for the car.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a street bruiser so there usually pretty long pass's. Unfortunately around here we hardly run from a stop mostly cause people are scared to break stuff I guess who knows.

The kit itself is a n2o outlet kit with the large (normal sized) solonoids 10lb bottle 4an feed line 3an exit lines. It was originally a single fogger kit for a mustang or something like that that I converted by adding a NOS cheater plate with nos jets.

The fuel system consists of a one gallon foamed cell with 8an bulkheads to 6an reducer feeding a pro comp 140gph fuel pump with a billet regulator.

I have a wide band in the car so I won't be in the dark on how the pass is going and won't be running it lean by no means.

Car as it sits is almost fully what an lt1 car weighs and it will run door to door with 600 wheel cobras on the motor and I have a passenger. Long term goals are to see the car into the 9s but thats gonna take a better trans and some front suspension. Rear will give before then too. Right now I just want the extra power to show off and put a few lengths on the one or two cars that give me a close run around here.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
Its a street bruiser so there usually pretty long pass's. Unfortunately around here we hardly run from a stop mostly cause people are scared to break stuff I guess who knows.

The kit itself is a n2o outlet kit with the large (normal sized) solonoids 10lb bottle 4an feed line 3an exit lines. It was originally a single fogger kit for a mustang or something like that that I converted by adding a NOS cheater plate with nos jets.

The fuel system consists of a one gallon foamed cell with 8an bulkheads to 6an reducer feeding a pro comp 140gph fuel pump with a billet regulator.

I have a wide band in the car so I won't be in the dark on how the pass is going and won't be running it lean by no means.

Car as it sits is almost fully what an lt1 car weighs and it will run door to door with 600 wheel cobras on the motor and I have a passenger. Long term goals are to see the car into the 9s but thats gonna take a better trans and some front suspension. Rear will give before then too. Right now I just want the extra power to show off and put a few lengths on the one or two cars that give me a close run around here.
Only problem I see with any off that is do not treat that wideband as a replacement for good plug reading. A wideband is a good way to document and check a tune.

Strong running car is it is doing that on motor. Should be VERY easy to get it into the 9's with the motor pulling that hard. Let me know If you need any more input.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thank you very much. When I get a chance to spray it (sometime in the next few days) I will pull a plug and take some pics and post them and you can see what you think.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
Ok thank you very much. When I get a chance to spray it (sometime in the next few days) I will pull a plug and take some pics and post them and you can see what you think.
Good deal sir. Also you can email me or message me on AIM at:

Graham@nitrousexpress.com

Good luck and let her eat!