Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having engine built - ring gap ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having engine built - ring gap ?'s

Looking into having a stock displacement ls3 built with rods and pistons. Just wondering what questions i should be asking, or what i should be asking for as far as ring gap is concerned. Going with wiseco pistons and rings and going for about 12:1 compression, undecided on cam if that matters.

any help appreciated.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 PM
9 Second Club

What do you plan on spraying that is what you want your rings gapped at. If you gapped them for a big shot you are going to have oil blow by on motor and will need a catch can.
Is this car a street car or strip ?

Cam depends on your set up If I was you I would have a cam custom grind to your specs thats what I did with my set up.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:08 PM
8 Second Club

Car is set up for drag racing only. I'm assuming a 200 shot on a progressive controller will get me where I want to be. I'd like the motor set up for more incase it doesn't though.

As far as a cam, I was thinking about going the PatG spec route, he seems to get good results and clearly has a ton more knowledge on the subject then myself.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

When you get the pistons and rings there will be a guide sheet that recommends what to gap them at for light or heavy nitrous use, go by that.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Lots of things can change what optimal ring gap is. Its going to vary. I would discuss this with your engine builder if you have one, if not speak with the piston manufactuer.

If you dont feel comfortable that your getting solid information or that you are having trouble conveying your message give me a call or write me an email. Ill get a little background information and see if I can get you lined out and down the track.

Graham @ N20
Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 AM
8 Second Club

Having a place in Toronto build it that's a sponsor on corvette forum, I just wanted to make sure I had atleast basic info so I can ask proper questions to get what I want. They told me they use a wiseco piston for fi/nitrous that has a thicker ringland which is what I want. I've just never had alot to do with nitrous so better to ask the people who have.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by mactizen
Having a place in Toronto build it that's a sponsor on corvette forum, I just wanted to make sure I had atleast basic info so I can ask proper questions to get what I want. They told me they use a wiseco piston for fi/nitrous that has a thicker ringland which is what I want. I've just never had alot to do with nitrous so better to ask the people who have.
Great thinking. Its much easier to get a project to turn out the way you would like when you stay involved and make sure you have your " ducks in a row".

If you need anything let me know. Good luck on the build and keep us up to date. Everyone loves a build thread!

Graham @ N20