Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous problems on a LT1 car, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Just make sure and hit it for more than 6 seconds to get some heat in the plugs.
Ok cool, thanks Tony!!! I will report back soon. Also, could my intake be part of whats holding me back? Its just a factory intake ported for 58mm TB and thats it?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THADD
Ok cool, thanks Tony!!! I will report back soon. Also, could my intake be part of whats holding me back? Its just a factory intake ported for 58mm TB and thats it?
I don't think so. It will take a 225 shot just fine. I don't think you have a problem filling the cylinders yet.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Teching In

As the other guy said thadd your intake should be okay. We were hitting a local lt1 with much more than that and the *** dyno felt better and better
Old 03-16-2011, 04:32 PM
8 Second Club

Ok I have more info..........

Base timing is 36
On nitrous is 30
Nitrous jet is .082
Fuel jet is .062
Plugs are NGK br8es
Fuel pressure on standalone is 8.5 psi

Ok fellas let me know if there is any other info you need.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Ok what was the AFR? Do you have a wideband? Are you looking at the fuel ring on the plugs?

You do for sure need to pull more timing. I would pull a total of 10 since we are having problems. Stay safe and lets get this lined out without hurting parts.

Graham @ N20
Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 PM
8 Second Club

AF was 11.0 my tuner looked at the fuel ring, i didnt because i dont understand it enough honestly. I am going back to the dyno on Monday to try and help get this sqaured away
Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

AF was 11.0 my tuner looked at the fuel ring, i didnt because i dont understand it enough honestly. I am going back to the dyno on Monday to try and help get this sqaured away
If all the plugs are representative of an 11.0 AFR we definitely need to get some fuel out of it. Ask your tuner how the plug spread looked as far as the fuel ring. If all looked even I would drop to a .57 jet and 10 psi on the fuel pressure. This should lean it out some but we still might drop the Fuel pressure to get it a little sharper.

Dont forget while we are pulling fuel out of the car we need very conservative timing.

Graham @ N20
Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Thadd, didnt see it mentioned buy have you steped up to larger lines going from the noids to the plate?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by singlesupra
Thadd, didnt see it mentioned buy have you steped up to larger lines going from the noids to the plate?
this....since -3 will only flow to 175hit
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
8 Second Club

It has the larger line on the nitrous side. My tuner noticed it and changed it out early in the tuning process. The nitrous line on the inside is about double the size it was before.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by graham@nitrousoutlet
If all the plugs are representative of an 11.0 AFR we definitely need to get some fuel out of it. Ask your tuner how the plug spread looked as far as the fuel ring. If all looked even I would drop to a .57 jet and 10 psi on the fuel pressure. This should lean it out some but we still might drop the Fuel pressure to get it a little sharper.

Dont forget while we are pulling fuel out of the car we need very conservative timing.

Graham @ N20
Ok I gotcha. I will have my phone with me and I will get back on here while at the dyno so I can pull up all the good info you guys are sending me
Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

so any update yet?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 AM
8 Second Club

Ok went to the dyno and it is doing better........found a small blockage coming out of the nitrous selonoid, fixed that. Stopped using the timing retard on my Hyfire box and pulled it through the pcm on the car, it got better, by passed the nitrous plate and installed 2 nozzles into the front of the throttle body, it picked up more power again. Before I was shooting a 225 shot and only picked up 150 at the wheels. With the things we fixed and changed I am now shooting a 200 shot and picked up about 190 at the wheels. So it is heading in the right direction. I am ordering a bunch of jets today so I can get the shot in the range I want and we will keep working at it to get this **** right. Jeff at Mayhem Motorsports has really been a big help
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice to hear is going in the right direction...
Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Ok went to the dyno and it is doing better........found a small blockage coming out of the nitrous selonoid, fixed that. Stopped using the timing retard on my Hyfire box and pulled it through the pcm on the car, it got better, by passed the nitrous plate and installed 2 nozzles into the front of the throttle body, it picked up more power again. Before I was shooting a 225 shot and only picked up 150 at the wheels. With the things we fixed and changed I am now shooting a 200 shot and picked up about 190 at the wheels. So it is heading in the right direction. I am ordering a bunch of jets today so I can get the shot in the range I want and we will keep working at it to get this **** right. Jeff at Mayhem Motorsports has really been a big help
What jetting was in the plate and Nozzles? What did the plugs look like on the last pass with the plate? AFR?

Graham @ N20
Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by graham@nitrousoutlet
What jetting was in the plate and Nozzles? What did the plugs look like on the last pass with the plate? AFR?

Graham @ N20
I was running .082(nitrous) and .062(fuel) in the plate. In the nozzles I am running .052(N) and I "think" .038(F) I have everything wrote down at the shop. Plugs looked good with the plate and AF was around 11.7. It just didnt seem to want to make power. As soon as we put in the nozzles, even with a smaller shot, it picked up more power. I was so wanting that plate to work out for me. It is a super clean set up
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

I was running .082(nitrous) and .062(fuel) in the plate. In the nozzles I am running .052(N) and I "think" .038(F) I have everything wrote down at the shop. Plugs looked good with the plate and AF was around 11.7. It just didnt seem to want to make power. As soon as we put in the nozzles, even with a smaller shot, it picked up more power. I was so wanting that plate to work out for me. It is a super clean set up
What does "good" mean? Where was the timing mark? What did the fuel rings look like?

I am just trying to get the tune up correct.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought spraying after the throttle body is always better than before the throttle body? Even if it picked up more power with the nozzles, the plate would be the safer option with a bigger shot like that, maybe?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does your entire set up consist of? Did you have the larger nitrous hose from the nitrous solenoid to the plate. Sounds like there was a restriction or tune up issue somewhere. No way the car will not make the power with the plate and will with the nozzles unless there was a restriction or tuning issue somewhere.
Dave
Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 AM
8 Second Club

I did have the larger line(ss line) from the nitrous side to the plate. I didnt at first but Jeff(tuner at Mayhem Motorsports)checked for that and changed it out early in the tuning process.