Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug and timing for my application

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Plug and timing for my application

Alright so I have never really had the perfect plug for my engine, want to see what you guys recommend. I would like a plug I can run NA and on spray.

01 Z06
408 ci
8.7 DCR
200 wet shot plate kit
OLSD
Walbro w/BAP active with nitrous only
Spraying on MS109 or similar (not pump gas)

Right now I am running a TR6 but I haven't sprayed in a while. I know I need a BRx plug but not sure if 6 or 7 or what....

How much timing if any do I need to pull with the race gas? NA, my motor can only take 16 or so around 4000 RPM and maybe 20 max up top.....If I pull out 8 degrees I will be at only 8 degrees of advance in the midrange! That seems so low, but.....

So plug and timing recommendations are?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

You need to be on a 8 heat range plug IMO.

b8efs would be my recommendation.

"How much timing if any do I need to pull with the race gas?"

This is scary.

Who is tuning this car? Why is it that the car is only running 20* NA? What AFR? What heads?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by graham@nitrousoutlet
You need to be on a 8 heat range plug IMO.

b8efs would be my recommendation.

"How much timing if any do I need to pull with the race gas?"

This is scary.

Who is tuning this car? Why is it that the car is only running 20* NA? What AFR? What heads?
I tuned/am tuning it. It's a 408 with 11:1 compression, dart 205cc heads (as cast). You don't want to know the history of the tune/motor since I had it built. Trust me, it's better off in my hands than the shop (a popular and reputable shop to boot) that put it together, IMO.

Why is it scary to ask a question? It would be more scary to just run the hell out of it without asking, no? AFR is spot on NA at a commanded PE of 1.16 in the midrange. Why does it run 20 degrees? Because that's about 4-5 degrees less than spark knock and I don't have my own dyno to check for MBT, quite simply. Also, it may only take 20 because my plug is 2 hotter than your recommendation....

I haven't sprayed it in a year or more. I just want to get the tune set so I can put it out of my mind.

The question on race gas is that the combo can take a LOT more timing with it. I want to know if I was to just leave the timing as is, with race gas, would I need to still pull it for spray?

Forgive me for not knowing the answer to my own questions before I post to ask them.....

BTW, I have YOUR plate kit on it so BE NICE!

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 04-29-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I tuned/am tuning it. It's a 408 with 11:1 compression, dart 205cc heads (as cast). You don't want to know the history of the tune/motor since I had it built. Trust me, it's better off in my hands than the shop (a popular and reputable shop to boot) that put it together, IMO.

Why is it scary to ask a question? It would be more scary to just run the hell out of it without asking, no? AFR is spot on NA at a commanded PE of 1.16 in the midrange. Why does it run 20 degrees? Because that's about 4-5 degrees less than spark knock and I don't have my own dyno to check for MBT, quite simply. Also, it may only take 20 because my plug is 2 hotter than your recommendation....

I haven't sprayed it in a year or more. I just want to get the tune set so I can put it out of my mind.

The question on race gas is that the combo can take a LOT more timing with it. I want to know if I was to just leave the timing as is, with race gas, would I need to still pull it for spray?

Forgive me for not knowing the answer to my own questions before I post to ask them.....

BTW, I have YOUR plate kit on it so BE NICE!

I apologize. I think this is my second post today where I have came off rude.

(If you have a min. I would like to go over the entire combination. Shoot me a pm and we can go over that in private since there seems to be some bad blood.)

I was more confused as too why you have such odd tune. That timing seems very low. I was wanting some clarification before I gave any insight since this is not normal.

Few more questions.

What octane is the pump gas where you are located? You were seeing knock at 24-25 degrees?

Why is it you landed on 1.16? Have you tried leaner and richer in the tune?

Not second guessing but that seems odd for that combination. I am just playing it safe and making sure everything on the motor tuneup is sound before we start trying to spray it.

The reason I said that was "scary" was the number of people who just seem unwilling to pull timing. We just were not on the same page. Have you done any data logging on motor with higher octane gas? How much timing did you run then? Same settings in PE?

We can go over nitrous tuning once get a little more information going. I just want to keep your motor safe.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

it's 1.16 midrange and 1.13 or 1.14 bottom and top. a bell curve. 93 octane E10.

leaner feels like it's just down and it pulls a little better around 1.16 it SEEMS. I have been racing NHRA and IHRA for 15 years and I can generally tell the difference between .1 seconds to be honest. I know that sounds like BS, but....I can tell a difference. My butt dyno is pretty good. Not as good as a real dyno, of course.

tuned with a wideband, of course. it does pull timing in the mid 20s on pump gas. on race gas I can run 10+ degrees more timing with no retard and it feels WAY stronger.

If you want to PM me your email address, I will be happy to email you my tune.

What specifically do you want to know about the combination? I'll post all of that on here, no problem.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Onlinesales@Nitrousoutlet.com

Give me a shout.