Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going to have the car on 100% race gas and im going to street tune the car see it works dont want the car spinning tire on the 150 but thank all you guys for your help
Old 05-29-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rollingchevys
im going to have the car on 100% race gas and im going to street tune the car see it works dont want the car spinning tire on the 150 but thank all you guys for your help
As long as you're not mixing pump/race, you'll be fine.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

i will never do that 100% race fuel its the way i had a few nitrous car but this LS1 are diffrent i cant control the timing like and old small block chevys but i understand your point
Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 AM
9 Second Club

I run 110 octane in the dedictaed and in the fuel tank. As long as your car is tunned for the fuel you are going to used then you are fine. I agree IWGF You dont mix race fuel and 91 ocatane together. You can tune the car on 93 then get a dedicated fuel cell and run a higher ocatane in the that. For your set up like I said just tune the car for what you are going to run in it. Then pull the correct timing and you will not have issues if you have the ight plugs and tune.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by custm2500
Why? to me this is an ignorant statement. No one has ever had a problem using higher octane and I have never seen any advantage of pulling timing vs. the "easy" way.

Why spend another $100 or more if you only occasionally plan to spray especially if it is at the track.

I know nothing about actually tuning but from what I have seen and experienced I bet a stock tune can easily take a 150 shot without pulling any timing. Guys advance the timing to the hilt then pull 2-6 degrees for 100-300 shot and I would be willing to bet they are still higher then stock by a long shot. Again I am not certain on this but I would be willing to make a solid bet on this.

P.S. quotes are " " not ' '.

My truck is a perfect example. I have a custom tune(mail order) so it isn't terribly aggressive but with 110 I have ran quite a few 100 shot nitrous passes without issue. Justin said it would be just fine and it was.

So you're now spreading your ignorance over here...nice

How can you continue to give advice like this?

Timing will kill a piston in a hurry. The person holding the timing light, or in our case putting number in the timing tables in the tune is a huge factor in making a motor live on nitrous. Of course, adding a higher octane fuel will help, but is not the best choice. You need to pull a few degrees AT LEAST for the 100shot. I would bet you couldn't even tell a difference in performance if you drove around with 2-3 degrees pulled out all the time.

Think about it this way. More than likely your tune up is rich if you're using the factory recommended jetting. Now you're wanting to spray a too rich tune-up with more than likely too much timing. What happens when you mix fuel and fire? You burn ****. Get that thing on the dyno and atleast pull some timing, no matter what fuel you run. The extra 5-10hp you have with more timing isn't worth burning up your motor for.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by Phantom
You need to pull a few degrees AT LEAST for the 100shot. I would bet you couldn't even tell a difference in performance if you drove around with 2-3 degrees pulled out all the time.
Justin had absolutely no concern about me running a 100 shot with 110. I did so for 4 or so bottles. I am sure the tune he gave me was not ***** to the wall with timing( being mail order) but it was fairly aggressive because I had my tune set for all out performance.

Originally Posted by Phantom
Think about it this way. More than likely your tune up is rich if you're using the factory recommended jetting. Now you're wanting to spray a too rich tune-up with more than likely too much timing. What happens when you mix fuel and fire? You burn ****. Get that thing on the dyno and at least pull some timing, no matter what fuel you run. The extra 5-10hp you have with more timing isn't worth burning up your motor for.
Being rich, and running high octane fuel both slow the burn down thus having a nearly identical effect as pulling timing. Banking on being rich isn't by any means a good idea but you are trying to claim that being rich and extra timing will compound and make things worse. They counteract each other and that is why factory settings are rich to help give a buffer that there product has very little chance of destroying your car.

If you notice I explained you would want to someone who know about tuning the LSX family but from what I have seen a stock tune seems to be so short of timing advance, pulling from stock is a waist of time. And if you add the safety of race fuel then you are not going to blow your motor.

Simple math with made up numbers.
Stock- 25 degrees
Custom- 30 degrees
Custom with timing pulled for nitrous- 26 on a 100 shot.

Again if someone who tunes cars could chime it and confirm or deny my observation I would appreciate it. If I remember correctly most companies will tell you up to a 100 shot you are ok then pull timing from there. That means the company feels you are way ahead of the game up to a 100 shot.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

so maybe 6 degrees on a 150 shot with MS109/105 race fuel and a TR7
Old 05-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

If you are pulling timing and don't have a crazy set up you don't need to run high octane fuel.

The issue with nitrous is that it helps the fuel burn much faster then it does in an N/A set up. Therefore you have to accommodate the for that. Retarding the timing OR higher octane fuel both do that. Retarding the timing obviously starts the burn later and higher octane fuel lets it start at the same time but slows it down so it doesn't burn too fast and blow a hole in the piston.

If you were to pull 4-6 degrees of timing you can run regular fuel and be plenty safe. Then if want to start leaning on it you can read plugs and advance your set up from there.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you just pull enough timing to get it setup fine for pump gas? I was spraying 175 on 91 octane.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IWGF
Why don't you just pull enough timing to get it setup fine for pump gas? I was spraying 175 on 91 octane.
Same here. I was spraying 200 on 93 octane. You just have to make sure enough timing is pulled or otherwise
Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100 shot on stock cubes stock setup is fine on pump gas but you need to have it tuned correctly. there is no default magic. Fore the 125 shot i would piuck the gas that fits my needs/budget and availabiltiy. If its pump gas 93 fine. do not mix gases. tune it fore the a/f and timing it wants not some magic internet number. start conservative(read less timing not more fuel) the a/f close going by mph not et unless similar 60' exist. remember a/f does not necisarly need to be flat some setups like more or less fuel down low or up top depending on valve events and multiple variables. then get the timing close keeping the a/f at the favored reading on the wide band. all while confirming your thoughts with the plugs. If i have to take an internet guess(bad idea) id say with a stock ish 346 a 100 shot should be in the 22-26* and 12.5-12.9 on 93-100 octain.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

How much nitrous will a power shot NOS solenoid put out with out a jet
Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

you should never use the noid as the jet. it can cause pulsing of the nitrous. if its that far from the valve. I think there 125-150 shot or ~.058-062 jet. don't hold me to that one.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Its a dry sys
Old 06-04-2011, 03:08 AM
TECH Addict

does not matter. im taslking the nitrous side. without a jet it will cause the nitrous to act funny. you should figure out what it can flow and use the jet that flows that.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

NOS said 175 max with no jet on that power shot