Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please varify plug reading 100 shot

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just do a 0-140 pull on a lonely stretch of highway and shut it down and pull off the road to swap out a few plugs for the drive home...

In an ideal world you would do all 8... But seriously, who wants to do that crap on the side of the road..lol
Old 09-04-2011, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
Just do a 0-140 pull on a lonely stretch of highway and shut it down and pull off the road to swap out a few plugs for the drive home...

In an ideal world you would do all 8... But seriously, who wants to do that crap on the side of the road..lol
LOL

Or on a Friday nite TNT at the end of the strip,in the dark,with a flashlight.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug G
LOL

Or on a Friday nite TNT at the end of the strip,in the dark,with a flashlight.
Buy a cheap kiddie 4 wheeler and have your buddy drive it. Its what I do.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cooler plug should only transfer heat away from the plug faster...shouldn't change timing but could change marks on strap I guess ? (but I wouldn't think much)

One thing that I was looking at was the discoloration in the cut-off threaded part (looked like a lot of heat ...purple/blue/gold)

Attachment 314235

I didnt say changing to a colder/hotter plug changes the timing....
I said it changes the amount of heat the plug generates...

on a colder plug you can get away with more timing as it is less prone to pre-ignition...
you still are limited by the actual MBT... but its not as likely to fire early because its holding too much heat..

on the same account... you can use a hotter plug, with less timing...again..not ideal...
but you can stave off pre-ignition by pulling timing when you have too hot of a plug
Further away from MBT you get, the less cylinder pressure you get, and the less heat it produces..

wh do you think our cars are set up to pull timing when they start to overheat...
its partially to try to cool down the spark side of it to compensate for the engine side of it..
A colder plug keeps from causing pre-ignition. Obviously more timing creates a hotter cylinder, but answer me this..... in your initial post you stated nothing about adjusting timing. Just about adjusting spark plug heat range, why is this?

and the info I posted about how to read a plug many posts above was a copy and paste from something Chris@nitrousoutlet has posted many times....

you dont read Fueling from the porcelain..it is not accurate because of many other factors.
So people cut their plugs for no reason? What are these many other factors? I guess we have been doing it wrong for a long time...
Old 09-04-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe he adjust timing by ear, since he is a sound engineer
Old 09-05-2011, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SargeZ06
And that is exactly how most on this board say you should do it. I think you will need a full 1/4 mile run to get the ring to show up though. I never could on an 1/8 mile pass.
With all my research and reading these forums i have always read from Graham and the guys this is the way to get a true plug read.Minimal idle time as possible, push the car up in the staging lanes ,burnout and full pass and shutdown.I dont think i did a 1/4 mile pass but would of been close.So should i get a few kms drive time before i do another pass on a fresh plug to maybe get a better read?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

A colder plug keeps from causing pre-ignition. Obviously more timing creates a hotter cylinder, but answer me this..... in your initial post you stated nothing about adjusting timing. Just about adjusting spark plug heat range, why is this?
Too hot of a plug, regardless of timing,may cause pre-ignition among other issues.
Like I said in the earlier post...was discolored like it was very hot (purple/blue/gold in color)
Old 09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blow thru
With all my research and reading these forums i have always read from Graham and the guys this is the way to get a true plug read.Minimal idle time as possible, push the car up in the staging lanes ,burnout and full pass and shutdown.I dont think i did a 1/4 mile pass but would of been close.So should i get a few kms drive time before i do another pass on a fresh plug to maybe get a better read?
You were correct before, zero drive time.

Too hot of a plug, regardless of timing,may cause pre-ignition among other issues.
Like I said in the earlier post...was discolored like it was very hot (purple/blue/gold in color)
He needs to pull out four degrees of timing and make another pass. You can see the heat in the plug where the cadium is starting to burn off of the strap.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
You were correct before, zero drive time.

He needs to pull out four degrees of timing and make another pass. You can see the heat in the plug where the cadium is starting to burn off of the strap.
Ok if i was to pull timing and being only on a standard tune(well that im aware of)would the timing resister trick be sufficient or would you guys prefer me to go for say the interface?i will do another pass shortly and get a better plug read and keep check of the wideband.

appreciate the help guys
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by SargeZ06
And that is exactly how most on this board say you should do it. I think you will need a full 1/4 mile run to get the ring to show up though. I never could on an 1/8 mile pass.
I would never recommend a 1/4 mile pass to see where your tune up is, if your running a bigger shot and your tune is off it will get expensive. I dont even do a full 1/8 mile pass to check and then once thats good I'll go 1/8 mile then slowly keep going until you make a full 1/4 mile pass. I can easily read my plugs after 1/8 pass, but I am running a pretty good size shot though.

Quick Reply: Please varify plug reading 100 shot