Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraying in 5th

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what you need is a m12 t56 the 5th gear is still a pulling gear...thats what im running

Last edited by disc0monkey; 10-07-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ducatisl
Lots of information and everyone is playing nice, this is good.

Makes you wonder how guys are spraying in races like the Texas Mile.
Personally if I was trying to go that fast for that long I would turn off the nitrous after 4th gear for sure.

I'm sure a lot of them are staying in it in high gear. Don't know how many on the bottle. I know a lot of those cars are setup with a tall as **** gear to stay out of OD even approaching 200mph.

I don't post about most things. This is one of those things that I've actually seen the **** break from and there's just no reason to have to use OD. My advice is to pretend its not there while racing.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

^ Why would it matter if you run 200mph at a certain rpm in 4th gear, or 200mph at the same rpm in 5th gear (by changing the rear end gear ratio)? It doesn't. The motor doesn't know the difference. Unless you're saying the tranny is the weak point because 5th is a smaller/weaker gear?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chevynation
^ Why would it matter if you run 200mph at a certain rpm in 4th gear, or 200mph at the same rpm in 5th gear (by changing the rear end gear ratio)? It doesn't. The motor doesn't know the difference. Unless you're saying the tranny is the weak point because 5th is a smaller/weaker gear?
It absolutely makes a difference. Because in 4th gear the trans output shaft and crankshaft are spinning the same rpm. In 5th the output shaft is spinning 25% faster than the crankshaft, and that puts a substantially higher load on the motor. Not to mention that the t56 fifth gear is not designed to take that kind of torque load. Fifth gear is not a power gear, it's an over drive gear for fuel economy.....period. People who do it and get away with it are lucky.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevynation
Fortunately someone here understands what's going on....

The overall drive ratio is the only thing that matters....this is a combination of transmission ratio, rear end ratio and tire rollout.

If you're at the same engine RPM at the ground same speed, then you've got the same overall drive ratio and the same tractive effort, and the engine doesn't give a damn how you end up there (assuming no frictional losses, of course).

The issue here is purely mechanical in the transmission since the rear cluster is being overspun, there is no effect on the engine, once again assuming zero frictional losses, which would be far from substantial in the grand scheme of things.

For what its worth, most of the guys with serious Texas Mile 6 speed setups run the G-Force 5-6 cluster, which tightens up the ratio significantly.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

5th gear may be weaker than 4th but out of all the thing I have broke in a T56 I have yet to break 5th or 6th gear and I spray in 5th all the time roll racing starting from 2nd. Your driveline speed can get extremely high though so everything needs to be right on the money. Im not sure what was meant by there is no benifet from it. The closer ratio 5th and 6th are a huge advantage as well. Your rpm's drop is around 500rpm less from 4th to 5th compared to stock. As for 1/4 mile you should be able to finish in 4th just fine. 4.10 gear/26" tire = (6500rpm = 122mph 7000 = 132mph). Leave it in 4th. Shifting to fifth will just make you more inconsistant and probably slow you down. Be careful running wot spraying for a long period of time also. I never spray for more than 12-15 seconds but thats my own rule.