Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall size with nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall size with nitrous?

I have been getting different stories so I figured I'd get yalls opinion. What size stall are you auto guys with nitrous running. The car is not a street car it's a race car but will see the streets on the weekends to street race.(in Mexico of course lol.) but it's a head and cam car goin to be sprayed starting out around 150 or 175 and working my way up. Ive heard no smaller than a 4000 but then some say it will blow through the converter. What are you guys running or what would work best.

Thanks charlie
Old 04-07-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

talk to circle d
Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every combo is different depending on the amount of nitrous to be used, torque output of the motor off the nitrous, cam specs, weight of the car, size tire, gear ratio etc. etc. etc.

For the size shot you are wanting to run something in the 3600-4000 range is probably where you will end up.

Call Greg@FTI or PTC and get a stall worked out for your combo.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charlie97z28
I have been getting different stories so I figured I'd get yalls opinion. What size stall are you auto guys with nitrous running. The car is not a street car it's a race car but will see the streets on the weekends to street race.(in Mexico of course lol.) but it's a head and cam car goin to be sprayed starting out around 150 or 175 and working my way up. Ive heard no smaller than a 4000 but then some say it will blow through the converter. What are you guys running or what would work best.

Thanks charlie
I see in your sig you already have or had a PTC converter. They are a very good company and I am sure if you call or fill out an online tech sheet with your complete combo and goals with car they will get you the converter you need.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya ptc is about 10 miles from my house they are a real good company but killer 5.3 I'm runnin a stock shortblock 5.3 with ported 241s texas speed quoted me a 228r Cam and cut my heads to 61cc what do you think about that setup
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks charlie
if you get a converter built for nitrous, it wont "blow thru it"
I run a Yank PY3600....
and right now its just a .020 and a .024 set of jets...(8 jets each stage.... direct port...roughly 350 going into the motor)
I had the converter built to be a 5k stall...and I dont have any issues with it...its the same on motor and on nitrous...

with nitrous you need something that is a smaller than stock diameter and it needs to have anti ballooning plates, or better yet, be a hardened billet case

actual stall rpm is dependent on your setup and what your goals are...
if its street driven, you may want something down in the 3200 range
if its a track only car, you want to find something that fits the power curve of your engine for all out speed...
if it does both... then you need to find a happy medium, or atleast figure out what you feel like you can deal with on a regular basis

it gets pricey quick.... but dont let that sway your decision...
save up and spend some coin and get a good one...

Lots of choices....take your time.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya ptc is about 10 miles from my house they are a real good company but killer 5.3 I'm runnin a stock shortblock 5.3 with ported 241s texas speed quoted me a 228r Cam and cut my heads to 61cc what do you think about that setup
That combo should work very good and make great average power. As far as n/a something in the 3600 range would work very well. Since you are so close to PTC I would definitely go by there and get them to build you a converter based on your complete combo and make sure to include how much nitrous you plan on hitting it with. They will get you setup.

Quick Reply: Stall size with nitrous?