Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to build it up and join the fun...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time to build it up and join the fun...

Hey everyone,
Looking for a little insight on a motor build. I may have this in the wrong area but some of it does pertain to nitrous. I've been racing my car for the past 6 years and it has countless passes down the track. It's helped me achieve 4 track championships, 4 wallys, a world cup finals victory, and bracket finals victory and so on. the car has just over 131,xxx miles and towards the end of last season its performance has really begun to fall off. I've decided to begin pulling it apart and going with forged internals. Current engine and trans mods include

Engine:
Stock LS1 short block
LS6 Intake w/ Ported TB
Dart Pro 1 225 cylinder heads
Chromoly Pushrods 7.400
Comp Cams .551/.551 224/224 (I Know Its Tiny)
Hooker LT Headers w/ TSP Bullet Dumps
ASP Crank Pulley
SLP Flo-Pac
HSW 78mm Plate System w/ 200 hit
Stock Rocker Arms
42 lb./hr injectors
Racetronix 270lph In-tank Pump w/ hot wire
Couple other small things I'm sure I'm forgetting

Trans:
Performabuilt Level 3 4L60E
Performabuilt 9.5" Nitrous Converter 3500 stall
TCI Deep Pan
B&M Trans Cooler

I'm planning to keep it a stock cube motor and want to up the shot to 300 for when I decide to head to the local track and run some heads up stuff and do a little grudge racing. Most of the time the car will be bracket raced but I do spray the car quite often when I'm doing that as well.
Im pretty set on going with Diamond -2cc flat top pistons and callies compstar rods but am undecided on whether the stock crank will hold up to repeated abuse from that size nitrous hit or if I should opt for a callies crank as well. Also will those off the shelf Diamond pistons withstand that hit. I know there are guys out there spraying stock bottom end guys spraying that much or more but I'm looking to not have to do this for another 5 or 6 years. The car is driven on the street very often whether it be to and from work or to a cruise night or wherever I feel like driving at that point in time. Also curious as to what rings would be a good choice. I also plan on switching to a direct port with a progressor or running two stages between a DP and the plate i currently have. Any insight/advice/criticism will be greatly appreciated. I've been a member of this sight for a few years and have only begun researching a lot more over the past 5 or 6 months.

Note: I have a camshaft that I got for dirt cheap from a friend that is BNIB and would like to know how well it would work. Its a Comp Cams XER287R .605/.609 238/240 112LSA.
My Goals are to be able to run 10.50s-10.70s on motor and mid to low 9s on spray.

The car is a 2000 Z/28 Camaro. Weighs 3480lb with me in it with a half tank of gas and 8pt mild steel cage.

Thanks,
James
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

The stock crank will hold up to that much spray, no problem. Are you in Frederick, MD?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by josh2002-ws6
The stock crank will hold up to that much spray, no problem. Are you in Frederick, MD?
Close to it. You know me Josh. Used to cruise around 40 maroon camaro on pro stars with the black manta stripe on the scoop. I managed low low 10s on spray with the stock bottom end and that **** camshaft i had. You always saw me at mason dixon as well
Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wannabsscamaro
Close to it. You know me Josh. Used to cruise around 40 maroon camaro on pro stars with the black manta stripe on the scoop. I managed low low 10s on spray with the stock bottom end and that **** camshaft i had. You always saw me at mason dixon as well
Oh yeah, I remember, lol. I have been overseas for a year now, haven't been hitting up the Frederick scene for a little bit. You looking to maybe get a already built setup? I just finished putting together a forged 347 with AFR 230 heads and a solid roller cam with all of the rest of the goodies to make a high 9's motor. IT also comes with 2 stages of direct port and should go high 8's with the spray. I just bought stuff to put together a 454 and am thinking of giving up on the stock cubic inch record.

Last edited by josh2002-ws6; 10-05-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Pm me a price on what your looking to get for that engine

Quick Reply: Time to build it up and join the fun...