Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N20 and suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N20 and suspension question

I know you guys aren't suspension guys but I have an issue that I need to resolve. I recently changed my rear gear from a 4.11 to a 3.73 and upped the N20 from a 150 shot to a 200 shot. With the 150 shot and the 4.11 gear I went a best of 9.90@134mph with a 1.35 60ft running out of gear on the big end of the track. I recently went to the track again to test the new changes. Now my car is spinning the tires off the line. I ran the car twice last Saturday. My first pass was a 1.43 60ft 9.90@139.8mph with the car spinning off the line.. The second pass was a 1.47 60ft 9.90@138.9mph spinning even worst off the line.. I have full suspension on the car with strange single adjustable shocks in the rear. My rear shocks are set all the way tight right now. Here is a video of the last pass of the night, Please any help would be great..
Thanks

Here is the last 9.90@134mph pass with the 4.11 gears

Last edited by odarabla; 10-09-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Where is your LCA set on the axle end?

Never mind I see your problem now after watching the first video.

You need to slow down the front end a lot. I mean a lot.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club

I was gonna post a similar thread. OP if you don't mind I may ask in yours if it's ok
Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by streetknight2
I was gonna post a similar thread. OP if you don't mind I may ask in yours if it's ok
Sure that's fine..
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Where is your LCA set on the axle end?

Never mind I see your problem now after watching the first video.

You need to slow down the front end a lot. I mean a lot.
What do you mean slow it down? I can tighten the front shocks some. I have strange single adjustable shocks in the front to..
Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All that bouncing off the line and the car coming up that far is killing your times.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by odarabla
What do you mean slow it down? I can tighten the front shocks some. I have strange single adjustable shocks in the front to..
I think its a front shock adjustment, they need to be set stiff so the weight stays on the rear tires longer.

Last edited by Cold06; 10-10-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Exactly what martin said for starters. tighten up the front.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

My car is a 02' Camaro. It has stock springs and shocks all the way around. Spohn Tunnel mount torque arm, adjustable lowers, LCA relocation brackets, Pro anti roll bar.

The car has -2 degrees pinion angle and LCA's are in center hole of brackets.

I run on 275/40r17 MT Drag radials. Car usually 60's in the mid to low 1.70's on motor. I have a 3200 stall in it.

I put a 100 shot on it and it does fine if I grab the button 40-50 feet out, but If I gas it out of the hole it blows the tires off and felt like some wheel hop.

What should I do? Shocks? 15" tires?

Thought about moving LCA's to bottom hole on LCA brackets.

The nitrous picked the car up 6/10 in the 1/8 hitting it 40-50 ft out, but still 60' about the same as on motor. I'd love to be able to make it stick, I think it's got another 2/10 in it in the 60' if I can get it to.

Here's a link to a pick of it leaving.

http://www.ColePhoto.net/gm2012/e4237087a
Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carter01
Exactly what martin said for starters. tighten up the front.
Ima try this next time out. Ima tighten up the front shocks and loosen the rears up and see if that helps. I will post back in here the results.. Thanks again guys..
Old 10-11-2012, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by streetknight2
My car is a 02' Camaro. It has stock springs and shocks all the way around. Spohn Tunnel mount torque arm, adjustable lowers, LCA relocation brackets, Pro anti roll bar.

The car has -2 degrees pinion angle and LCA's are in center hole of brackets.

I run on 275/40r17 MT Drag radials. Car usually 60's in the mid to low 1.70's on motor. I have a 3200 stall in it.

I put a 100 shot on it and it does fine if I grab the button 40-50 feet out, but If I gas it out of the hole it blows the tires off and felt like some wheel hop.

What should I do? Shocks? 15" tires?

Thought about moving LCA's to bottom hole on LCA brackets.

The nitrous picked the car up 6/10 in the 1/8 hitting it 40-50 ft out, but still 60' about the same as on motor. I'd love to be able to make it stick, I think it's got another 2/10 in it in the 60' if I can get it to.

Here's a link to a pick of it leaving.

http://www.ColePhoto.net/gm2012/e4237087a
If it shakes the tires it needs more air pressure and/or a tighter compression setting in the shock. If you do not have double adjustable shocks you cannot adjust the compression setting. Single adjustable shocks like Odarabla has can only adjust the compression/rebound as one adjustment. Meaning you cannot set the rebound looser than the compression or vice versa. If you loosen the shock on a single adjustable it loosens the compression also. On a radial this makes things difficult.

How much does the rear end separate from the body of the car when it launches? Or does it squat and push the tire up into the fender well area?
Ima try this next time out. Ima tighten up the front shocks and loosen the rears up and see if that helps. I will post back in here the results.. Thanks again guys..
Leave the rear shocks alone and tighten the front.

If you have strange singles they should have 12 settings. Put them at number 6 in the front to start and tighten the front until it won't hook anymore or until it slows down. As long as it stays hooked the tighter the front end the faster it will be.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

If it shakes the tires it needs more air pressure and/or a tighter compression setting in the shock. If you do not have double adjustable shocks you cannot adjust the compression setting. Single adjustable shocks like Odarabla has can only adjust the compression/rebound as one adjustment. Meaning you cannot set the rebound looser than the compression or vice versa. If you loosen the shock on a single adjustable it loosens the compression also. On a radial this makes things difficult.

How much does the rear end separate from the body of the car when it launches? Or does it squat and push the tire up into the fender well area?

Leave the rear shocks alone and tighten the front.

If you have strange singles they should have 12 settings. Put them at number 6 in the front to start and tighten the front until it won't hook anymore or until it slows down. As long as it stays hooked the tighter the front end the faster it will be.
SO leave the rear shocks all the way stiff and put the fronts on #6. The car is spinning off the line now so hopefully it will hook. Then continue to tighten up the front shock until the car spins again or slows down. What do I do if the I out the front shocks on #6 setting and the car still spins? Do I loosen the rear shocks at that point?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

SO leave the rear shocks all the way stiff and put the fronts on #6. The car is spinning off the line now so hopefully it will hook. Then continue to tighten up the front shock until the car spins again or slows down. What do I do if the I out the front shocks on #6 setting and the car still spins? Do I loosen the rear shocks at that point?
Yes if you put it on 6 in the front and it spins excessively loosen 2 clicks initially in the rear.

See what that does and if it still spins take it down a click at a time from there in the rear. What tire pressure are you running? Can you get a video of how much the sidewall wrinkles also?

I think what is happening is the front is rising so quickly that it's getting a good initial bite, but because it's so loose it's hitting the top of the shocks travel and then coming right back down unloading the rear tires and making it spin.

If you had double adjustables you'd be able to tighten the compression setting separately and have it at full tight or very near full tight so that when it extends on the rebound stroke and tops out it can't slam back down near as quickly and will keep the nose of the car up.

With your single adjustable shocks set at full loose not only is the rebound/extension at full loose but so is your compression. So not only will it extend extremely quickly because it's full loose, but it will want to compress and come back down just as quick because there is no compression setting in the shock to keep the nose held up.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 PM
10 Second Club

Yes if you put it on 6 in the front and it spins excessively loosen 2 clicks initially in the rear.

See what that does and if it still spins take it down a click at a time from there in the rear. What tire pressure are you running? Can you get a video of how much the sidewall wrinkles also?

I think what is happening is the front is rising so quickly that it's getting a good initial bite, but because it's so loose it's hitting the top of the shocks travel and then coming right back down unloading the rear tires and making it spin.

If you had double adjustables you'd be able to tighten the compression setting separately and have it at full tight or very near full tight so that when it extends on the rebound stroke and tops out it can't slam back down near as quickly and will keep the nose of the car up.

With your single adjustable shocks set at full loose not only is the rebound/extension at full loose but so is your compression. So not only will it extend extremely quickly because it's full loose, but it will want to compress and come back down just as quick because there is no compression setting in the shock to keep the nose held up.
Gotcha.. This is some good info man thanks a bunch. I do have one question about the OT sensors. The car is a street car and after every race where I use spray my O2 sensors go out. I am spraying Shell URT 110 gas with the N2O. Is it normal for spray to messup the O2 sensors? Do you guys think it could be the Fuel i'm spraying with? I'm getting tired of changing O2's..

Thanks again for all the help guys
Old 10-12-2012, 01:14 PM
9 Second Club

Gotcha.. This is some good info man thanks a bunch. I do have one question about the OT sensors. The car is a street car and after every race where I use spray my O2 sensors go out. I am spraying Shell URT 110 gas with the N2O. Is it normal for spray to messup the O2 sensors? Do you guys think it could be the Fuel i'm spraying with? I'm getting tired of changing O2's..

Thanks again for all the help guys
If its leaded fuel its possible. Used to happen to me all the time in my Buick, but I was running it straight.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, if it's leaded fuel it will wreak havoc on them.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

I checked on it and it says it's unleaded fuel n=but everytime I spray it kills my O2's Geoff at EPS told me to just unplug them and take then out when I go racing..
Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 PM
FormerVendor

I checked on it and it says it's unleaded fuel n=but everytime I spray it kills my O2's Geoff at EPS told me to just unplug them and take then out when I go racing..
I would do what Geoff said.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

I would do what Geoff said.
Thanks man for all your help.. As stated above as soon as I get a chance i'm gonna go back and try what you said to see if it hooks better.. Thanks again
Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 AM
9 Second Club

Gonna jump back in here with a quick ? on what I posted above about my car. Do you think it would help the weight transfer on the car to disconnect or remove the front sway bar?

Here's a pic of it leaving, if Just doesn't seem like it's transferring well.

http://www.colephoto.net/gm2012/h4237087A#h4237087a

Quick Reply: N20 and suspension question